Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mystery doll, sign in please !


Current Mood : So very sleepy...

Current Image Notes : Twice the fun ! Click to enlarge !


Therapy day. I didn’t want to go, even had a huge spike headache, but went anyway. The ‘homework’ assignment from last week didn’t make sense to me, and it was much harder than I expected, so I confess, I was carrying arrogance. I’ve also been considering my behavior about and around Dearest Son since his birth, and…well, lots need to change, and I was also feeling a little helpless and a twitch overwhelmed. I just find it hard to believe that, when I have to repeat myself several times before anyone hears and/or understands me, and I still use my ‘Projecting Voice’, that my attitude and opinions influences anyone around me. I now see how it has been for Dearest.


So, I feel a little better now, after discussing it with S., our therapist, and I think I’m on the right path. Can’t change core beliefs I’ve had since childhood overnight, but I can learn how some of them are unfounded, hurtful, and not conducive to the person I like to think I am – or at least, can be. S. is very good !


Otherwise, it was more doll fun this afternoon, while Dearest played and took a nap. He’s sort of like me, and doesn’t rest well the night before anything remotely medical. Deboxed and photographed Ballerina Belle, and she was worse than I thought. The three (!) plastic tabs anchoring her head to the box liner had all broken, so she had sharp barbs sticking up all over her very sparsely rooted head. If Mattel hadn’t painted her pate brown, it’d look far worse. She has straight legs that only allow her to sit, and don’t go backwards much at all. No arabesques for Belle ! I think 1959 Barbies are the few dolls with less articulation, since Belle at least has the ball-style arm socket. She’s also very light, only slightly heavier than a blow-molded knockoff.


But, oh, that face ! I’m not even sure why I’m suddenly so attracted to it, but I think she’s gorgeous. It’s not the first Belle doll with it, but this one doesn’t have a widow’s peak so sharp, she’s fending off contracts with NCIS or opening mail with it. I just can’t help but smile fondly at her each time I see her. I probably should have left her hair up, but it’s now down and drying, because it’s styled to stay up. Oddly enough, I can wear her tiara-ring ! I’m trying to figure how to make or find her some clothes that’ll fit over the molded parts but still ‘go’ with her yellow toe shoes. It may be that later, I’ll transfer her head to another body. Wish me luck finding a match !


I also noticed a three-pack of other Disney ballerinas – Cinderella, Snow White, and Ariel. Very pretty – and Cinderella was about a half-inch taller than the other two. It wasn’t just packaging. I found that intriguing.


I also spent some time with Spectra. While I brushed her hair yesterday, I didn’t really play with it until today. It’s so gloriously soft ! May have to give her a hot-water rinse, too, since her hair still has some packaging and ponytail bends in it. I really like it down, but it’s so pretty, playing with curls will be something to look forward to. As she is now, though, she looks so pensive. If a doll isn’t smiling happily at me, I prefer ‘wistful’ to ‘disdainful’ any day.


I kinda wish I could remove the ‘ball and  chain’ tulle overlay, ‘cause the dress underneath is so understatedly cool. I admit it, I love one-shoulder outfits, especially if they’re asymmetrical in other ways, but the overlay just doesn’t fit or float right. I like her shoes – they look like they were knitted ! – but I think the dress looks better without the ribcage-like shoulder chains and ankle manacles. Who knew there was a bright pink ribbon accent hiding under those chains ? And that she’d look so compellingly vulnerable with her hair down ? Not me. Wow. And I wonder how the design team for MH does it – and keeps doing it, again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment