Saturday, September 29, 2012

I love Hobby Lobby on a Saturday...


Current Mood : Lazy.

Current Image Notes : Here's the first (very thin) postcard from that 'Fashion Monsters' poster set I got from Dollar Tree. More to come ! 


It’s always a busy Saturday when Beloved Hubby’s home ! But did you know it’s *still* raining ? Yup. We’ve had rain off and on for a solid week now. Many people refer to this as our annual Monsoon Season, but I prefer to think we’re just pretending to be Seattle for a while each Fall. I really like flannel.


When the rain slacked off, I decided to go ahead and hit Hobby Lobby, for the Tacky Wax and the 40% off coupon. Plus, the acrylic ice cubes I saw there last week were part of a 40% off holiday sale ! Beloved Hubby wanted to go, too, so we all ventured out.


Good thing, too, because we found our new dining room set today ! HLobby had furniture markdowns, and we got a lovely square black ‘pub’ table with four saddle-back bench chairs for about half what we were budgeting ! It’s gorgeous, and I can always make seat cushions.


As for me, I found the Tacky Wax waiting quietly for me on a shelf underneath the miniatures, where I’d never noticed it before. It’s much larger than I thought it’d be. I’ll probably never use it all ! And hanging over the ice cubes was a package of white and iridescent snowflake buttons I couldn’t resist – I could literally ‘see’ them on the hemline of a pretty skirt for Abbey. It was my lucky day, as those were 40% off, too !


Snagged the ¼-inch and 1/8-inch elastic I’ve needed – in black – while I was there. It costs a bit more at HLobby than it does at Mal-Wart, but M-W never has it in stock around here. I use a lot of both widths on MH headbands and skirts. I also got a half yard of a gorgeous deep purple broadcloth and a quarter yard of a pretty winter pattern, both of which are always on sale. Ended up using my coupon on a big scented pillar candle Beloved Hubby favored, and he used his coupon on a truck model for Dearest Son. Since we were using different payments – regular Checking for the table set and the model, cash for my stuff and the candle – I thought it was fair.


We were gonna eat out, but it began to rain again, just as we loaded the dining room set box into Venus-diesel, so we went straight home and had soup instead. At our new table ! We cleaned up the clutter and junk from the dining area and cleaned off the patio table we’d been using since we moved. Beloved hung up tools in an artistic fashion, and I finally hung the curtains – remember that space/denim set I had outside my Lab door ? Those. He got it put together with my minor help, and poof ! Our dining area looks much better now ! And we love our new table. The curved benches are a bit hard on ye olde butt, so I’ll probably make cushions as soon as batting or foam rubber goes on sale.


All that gave us better access to the kitchen window, so we added the ‘Mr. Potato Head’ pieces to the pumpkin Beloved bought at Aldi’s this week. I still can’t believe he paid so little for it – the $3. one there is the size of the $8. ones at Homeland and Mal-Wart. We bought the “Pirate” Potato Head set about two weeks ago, and had fun with it on real potatoes, although it’s made and marketed for Halloween décor. We boosted it into the window and added the new pillar candle, and I like how it looks, inside and out.


Even Monster High looks better. My ersatz trophy is upright, and so is Chewlian, but I ended up moving him to the cart. While Bard’s Tacky Wax assures me that it’s not greasy and won’t stain, I decided that I’d rather put ole Chew on some solid plastic, rather than the sticker-covered ledge in the classroom. But it works well – everything withstood a hit from the box the dining set came in. In fact, the ‘trophy display case’ tipped over, but when I picked it up, the ‘Rose Trophy’ was still well-anchored within. I’ll probably add a bit to the other trophies, too. I got plenty ! Hmmm….I wonder if it’s sticky enough to keep an iCoffin or purse in a doll’s hand long enough to photograph…


Well. With a tiny seed-bead of that stuff, Belle can hold Ghoulia’s very lumpy Coffin Bean soda, without a rubber band. I let her sit for five minutes, then bounced her around for a couple minutes, and it’s still firmly attached to her fingers. Awesome. I was wondering how I’d use it all – now I think I may have to buy more every so often ! Least now I know where to find it.


All this rain put everyone in ‘sleep’ mode after lunch, but Dearest was up early, cleaning his room. We promised that he could have the patio table in there if he could keep it clean. It makes things pretty crowded in there, so here’s hoping. Like our kitchen, he’s gonna hafta keep it tidy, or he won’t be able to do anything in there very, very quickly !

No comments:

Post a Comment