Sunday, September 9, 2012

I finally sewed something ! Now if I can just keep going...


Current Mood : Self-satisfied



Today’s one of those days that you wake up with the sure knowledge that making plans for the day is just a waste of time. So, of course, I sewed. Wanted to try that strapless bodice again from that pattern set I bought this summer, but this time with the circle skirt. As usual when I’m starting something at least half-untested, I waver between using decent fabric and risking a Total Fail or using the stuff I barely tolerate in the bundle bin and having it turn out nice. So when Beloved Hubby handed me a length of brown fabric I’d given him to cushion some of his stuff during the move (that he finally unpacked today !), I knew what I’d be using. Maybe it wouldn’t look so bad if I could find some black lace…


Success ! There is such a good reason I keep so huge a stash. I even had tiny lace to use on the bodice, since the hem lace was pretty darn big. I can never find tiny lace in stores, I end up taking it off ready-made clothes – often bras ! Or gathering bias tape, the lacy kind.  And of course I didn’t follow directions – I use lace to hem circle skirts, it’s a lot easier and takes much less fabric if I don’t do the ‘line and turn’ thing. Although a finished skirt probably stands out a bit better with a lining, let’s face it, if I know faster or quicker or cheaper, I’ll invariably do that first.


Bodice still bags a bit on the sides, and the circle is so huge, Ghoulia’s sitting on half of her skirt. I gathered and sewed it to the bodice three times and *still* ended up with that annoying pleat in the front. Grrrr. I’ll have to take another photo of her standing up in the dress, so you can see how wide it is. I like it, don’t get me wrong, and I didn’t have to alter the pattern (for once !), but it really is a full circle skirt. I really need to practice with more ‘drapey’ fabric.


Oh, and I made the little ‘garden’ today. The vaguely Asian piece is an aquarium decoration I got on markdown from PetSmartCo for $4., and the gazing ball is a Dollar Tree paperweight I’ve had for several years, boosted up on a paper-covered bathroom tissue roll. And I had to get one of those new Decomposition Books in there somewhere. Thinking of covering the back wall with a piece of ‘blue sky’ scrapbook paper, but right now, I like seeing the wood. Beloved made me those cubbies shortly after we first moved in, from scrap wood at a job site. It’s perfect on my desk ! And from now on, that’s where my fitting model hangs out in between fittings, so I wanted it to look nice.


I kinda surprised m’self by having a not-fail. It’s been so long since I sewed, my confidence was eroding. So I really needed this. And I think next, I’ll try a half-circle amendment – then move on to the much-delayed Halloween project ! 





1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT, Ghoulia looks lovely in that shade of chocolate brown! Your garden is wonderful too!
    I think there is something inherently evil about circle skirts! LOL I've never had one turn out decently, but then again maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am not a fan of big pouffy skirts myself. (The last thing I want is a skirt that adds MORE to my already pouffy middle! LOL)
    You did a lovely job with this pattern and I look forward to seeing what else you create. hugs
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete