Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I gotta quit having so many 'MINE !' images and so few "I Made !" ones.



Current Mood : Giggly


Watched something sort-of interesting today, on MTV, of all places. It was called True Life, and the episode was ‘I’m a Compulsive Shopper’. I thought that was unique right there, you’d think they’d go with the more demographic-friendly ‘I’m a Shopaholic’. But as the title might indicate, they actually took it seriously. One of the two women profiled was shown attending a “Debtors Anonymous” meeting. I’d love to see the parking lot outside that ! Of course, watching someone moan about not being able to buy $200. jeans ‘cause she’s ducking Rent-A-Center’s repo truck when we’ve been on the Austerity Plan for more than a month was a challenge – I really, really wanted to throw something at the screen !


Of course, two hours later, I was on my way to TRU, with a serendipitous ‘$5. off Anything’ coupon that arrived yesterday, good today only. I like being part of their free Rewards club, but so many of their unexpected perks arrive when I can’t use ‘em, which makes me feel a bit bad. But that wasn’t the case today ! I wanted to see the Mystixx and was contemplating getting a very specific MH doll, one I didn’t think I’d ever want. 


Not sure if you remember, so here’s the deal. Last year, about a month or two before her official release, a prototype ‘Spectra Von Hauntington’ doll image appeared. Debate about this doll was fierce. At least on one MH site of my unfortunate acquaintance. Since that name wasn’t trademarked by Mattel, but ‘Spectra Vondergeist’ was, and the box style wasn’t anywhere near the original ‘Trapper Keeper’ every fan was already so familiar with, I thought she was either a prototype or the most clever fake ever.


My big mistake was voicing this opinion. While I wasn’t alone in thinking it, I furthered the stupid by using logic, then typing and posting that, too. Fact is, at the time, nobody knew for sure, and Mattel certainly wasn’t saying anything, one way or the other. But several other site users took grave offense to my opinions, and seemed to enjoy tracking my posts on completely unrelated threads and adding insults and other delights to everything I said, even if it was answering a poll. I sent a note to the admin owner, only to find out that the ringleader was his girlfriend. I erased every bit of my presence on that site and only went back when I hit a link before I noticed what site it went to.


Several months later, all questions were answered, technically none of us were right. But I now hated this doll, hated the fandom, and hovered right on the edge of hating MH completely. Even finally seeing one in the harsh light of retail didn’t change my mind, although I found m’self liking the character. At first, I thought it was the ‘impossible for anybody but a toy manufacturer’ fade-to-clear aspects, but I got over Cupid’s even stranger ‘fade to black with tattoos on top’ design and Operetta’s facial scarring well enough, so I realized that, while I simply didn’t like the ‘basic’ doll, I was open to other versions with different hair. I wasn’t still  carrying the ridiculous fallout from the fansite against her anymore. And, btw, numerous resin / vinyl kitbashers in Japan can tell you, they can cast fan models in any color, including clear, in their own garages and even living rooms, if their landlords are lenient enough. It’s simply not as popular a hobby in the States.


I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a Dot Dead Gorgeous Spectra ever since. And, yes, from that typically long-winded extrapolation, you can infer correctly that today, I found one. I now have a lovely DDG Spectra that Dearest Son helped me pick out, and another surprise doll you’ll see tomorrow. Truly, no one’s more surprised than me that I just *had* to have this other doll, and no, she’s not MH or a Mystixx. Or even bought for her clothes or inexpensive cost, although she was on sale. Our TRU didn’t have any of the Mystixx line, but said they may be in tomorrow’s truck, if I wanted to call. Naaah. Instead I heard an old MST3000 riff echoing around in my empty head, ‘You spent your nickel, we’re done !’, which is about how I still feel.


And here’s the bonus fun – I’ve already deboxed her, and Spectra is amazing ! She has bracelets from her box art molded into her hands, and because those are clear, you can actually see the whole mechanism for the wrists ! Her hair reminds me of My Little Pony’s Twilight Sparkle, my favorite character. She is kind of hard to photograph, but about all I can ask of MH is for it to keep being outrageously original, and Spectra of any version is certainly that. I also want to be inspired to try new things, and those tiny elastic banded wrist bows are so tiny, I didn’t think they could be done. Now I can do them, and really wanna try soon. Hate that I’ve missed having a Spectra for so long, but I’m also glad I waited for the right one for me. I’m sure you’ll be seeing a lot more of this purple dynamo in the near future ! I have the neatest idea for a pair of pants for her…


No comments:

Post a Comment