Saturday, September 22, 2012

I also enjoyed the minky...


Current Mood : Headache-y



While it was all well and good to get through our first ‘shakedown cruise’ with the first home football game of the season, it’s often looked back on as more of the ‘calm before the storm’. Such was today. This game was twice as loud hours earlier, and the parking was so bad, they closed our entire street. But, hey, I’d had a good lunch – fridge clean-out, otherwise known as ‘Leftover Smorgasbord’ ! – and my favorite chip-and-dip snack, along with my second favorite, celery, ready to go with plenty of soda and ginger ale for the whole night. Bring it !


I also had my pick of projects to keep my mind and hands busy. New library books, Barbie-to-MH alterations sewing, a new blanket to hem for Dearest Son, a stalled Halloween project, fixing the dents still in Spectra’s hair, awesome new lace to sew onto something totally wicked cool, and a really long-delayed Puma Dude to spray-paint. Hmm…


It helped that we got to spend some quality time – and two 40% off coupons ! – with our old friend Hobby Lobby early this morning. Dearest picked out some markdown model spray paint for his Christine homage, and I figured, the weather’s good, we have the door open anyway, humidity is low…let’s paint together ! Gave Puma a good kitchen-sink bath, then took him apart and washed his soon-to-be-painted pink parts a second time, then toweled them dry. That sounds much dirtier than it is. But I wanted him to be dust free. That tiny can of $7. paint would need to cover it all, with no do-overs.


And it did ! Beloved Hubby had to help a bit – his touch with a spray can is remarkable, he gets the best coverage ! – but three coats and a touch-up later, he was drying in the late afternoon sun, awaiting the dawn of tomorrow to be reassembled. It’s not a perfect match, I couldn’t find anything close enough, but it’s so smooth, it almost looks cast in that color, and it’s much better than pastel pink !


That not-CAM piece in the lower left corner is some sort of generic doll-size makeup thingie, perhaps it’s meant to be a perfume bottle. It, too was pink, so I added it to the paint pile. Now it can go on the Trophy Display as an award for…something or other. Botany, maybe, since it has a rose on top. At least it’s not gold like all the others ! And all the bits got painted on one of my much-enjoyed ramen noodle boxes. I always have a new use for one of those things...


Despite all the scrapbook papers HLobby has, and on sale, too, I didn’t find any to wrap around the box supporting the bleachers. I may just use some grey or ‘stone’ print I already have. In addition to some cool new lace, I also got the one-inch wide elastic in black that I’ve been looking for. Now Skull Shores Ghoulia, the one with the broken arm, has a black cuff, instead of just white ones. I even made two, so it looks less like a cast and more like a fashion statement.


Dearest and Beloved had a bit of negotiation going on while we were there. I found a nice blanket I thought Beloved might like, but it wasn’t like the red velvet blanket. That’s Beloved and Dearest’s favorite, but we only have one, and Dearest was using it. Until he saw the bolt of red ‘cuddle dimple’ minky in the fabric section ! He proposed giving Beloved back the red velvet blanket if he could have one made of the dimpled minky. Done ! We got two yards – on 30% off ! – and that was the only other project I completed today, getting his blanket ready for tonight. I used a plate to curve the corners, made ribbon from the selvages, and ran two circuits of zig-zag to ‘hem’ it. Like most fleece fabrics, it won’t ravel or fray, but I like to give it a bit of finish. Heck, the only reason I cut the selvages is that they were marked with an ugly black line on the back side. On the reverse, the dimples made the material look like a gigantic strawberry !  It threw red lint all inside KJ, but his appreciative smile made it worth the bit of extra post-sew cleanup.


Unfortunately, I now have a massive headache that refuses to acknowledge either the acetaminophen or ibuprofen I’ve gulped, so I’m gonna lie down with whatever library book has the largest print.  Hope your Saturday was unique and awesome !

No comments:

Post a Comment