Monday, September 10, 2012

Ham steaks and brown dresses...yum !


Current Mood : Fat & Happy



Today’s laundry run netted 32 cents ! No doll clothes, though. Who knew I’d twice find a quarter just under a washing machine ? But there they were. Also ate the last fresh nectarine this morning. Darn. I make much better choices when fruit is 29c/lb. ! Wish we lived closer to Aldi’s.


We’re making changes to our phones. While we get to keep our ‘smartphones’, we’re downgrading them to phone-and-text only, and even that is gonna be pay-as-you-go. I’ll miss not ‘chatting’ via text with Beloved Hubby, but won’t miss the $140./month bills for online services we don’t use, thousands of phone minutes we never used, but still get billed $40. on top of our usual bill because we texted two messages over our limit. Since we’re paying to send and receive, that’s just ridiculous. So we’re downgrading to no online and emergency use only, which should only be about $20./month for both of us.


Once we get that accomplished – it requires getting new numbers and new SIM cards – about the only bill we’ll have beyond rent will be car insurance. And we’ll drop the full coverage we have on Venus-diesel at renewal time next month. While things aren’t that desperate, they easily could be, so it’s best to get things as pared-down as possible while we can.


Sorry I’m all money-centered today. Guess it’s just on my mind right now. We’re doing OK, but managing our resources better is always a challenge, and once I get the idea to do better, it’s hard to dig it out or settle for ‘good enough’ easily.


One way to feel good without spending anything is to make something new. And since I still have at least half a yard of that brown cotton… I also wanted to test the slight alteration I made to the strapless bodice pattern. The tweaked pattern is in the trash now, it’s super-tight on poor Roller Maze Frankie, and still ripples along the sides. (sigh) Guess I just have to accept that it’s that way, and enjoy how the rest of the dress works. I did a decent job on the Velcro ™ closure, and the back fits together much better on this one than Ghoulia’s – I did the closure first, before I sewed the back seam. I may cover the stitches later with some black ribbon, just for kicks.


I’m happy with it, overall. For now, though, I’m gonna settle down after dinner – brown-sugar glazed ham steaks with garlic mashed potatoes – and watch the new Hoarders episode on A&E ! Hope your Monday was a good day. 

3 comments:

  1. Version 2 of the chocolate dress looks fabulous! Great alteration!

    29 cents a pound for nectarines you say??? Hmm I think I need to venture out to the Aldi's I found a few weeks ago! That is an awesome price for fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell ya, Deborah, that place is wonderful. Last time we went, peaches, nectarines, and plums were 29c/lb - and this time, grapes were 89c/lb. I was ready to put the meat back and get a short ton of fruit !

      They often have a circular out, like any other grocery, that you can see online. Hop on over to Aldi.us, and it's there to click on, on your right. Hope you like it there - I love it !

      And thanks for your compliment. I always blush !

      Delete
    2. PS - most of their products are 'home brands'. The only one we've been disappointed with was some garlic Parmesan noodle packets, and even then, save the receipt and they'll refund yer bucks. Can't beat it. We even like their toilet paper ! (grin) And their 'take it and bake it' pizza is excellent. Dearest Son prefers it to PHut !

      Delete