Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Happily Ever After vs. The Fans


Current Mood : Smooooooth !


This is gonna sound so silly, but…today I made m’self a smoothie from milk that goes out of date tomorrow and Aldi’s fruit yogurt that sported a ‘best by’ date of last Sunday. I’ve heard about them but never had one, and was kind of hesitant. After all my ‘add milk to crappy hospital pudding’ experiment was a Total Fail. The smoothie, however,  was delicious ! I know the recipes call for a blender and more fruit, but all I did was toss a whole cup of yogurt into a glass of milk, and add a pinch of brown sugar, and spin ‘em around with a spoon. Don’t have a blender. And I drank every dreg, and used the spoon to go after the peach bits. The blueberry one I had later in the afternoon was tasty, too.


We only have one out-of-date yogurt left, the other three don’t expire ‘til next Monday, but if they’re still around, it’s gonna be raspberry smoothie time on Tuesday and Wednesday !


Our herd of DVDs earned us $22., which was quickly spent. Dearest Son bought a big-eyed Ty ‘Moonlight Cat’ in black and orange that’s really adorable. I cut a deal with him to borrow his kitty for a few photos, mostly because I finally went ahead and bought a MH favor pack, for the eight ‘Decomposition Books’ up in the left corner of today’s photo. I’ve been wanting it for months, and now I have one. You do know I’ll buy at least one more pack in the next few weeks, right ? (grin) Now I can justify buying ‘em !


He’s gonna get some lip-shaped kazoos (bottom right) and a prism or two (cylinders on the left), with a DracuLaura miniature skateboard and a keychain. The rest I’m saving to add to trades and such. I admit, I kinda wanted a skateboard and prism. too – I just have no idea what I’m gonna do with those heart-shaped bracelets. They’re gonna be too small for my fat wrist, I just know it. I left the rest of the DVD cash on Beloved Hubby’s desk, as he always needs a few bucks walkin’ around money. I know I feel better when I have a couple bucks rattling around my wallet.


Only bad part of the day was coming back. Only bad part of living so close to the University is that too many students get the idea that, even though they don’t live here, it’s fine to ‘borrow’ our parking lot all day long. Since the Office won’t tow ‘em, except on game days, it soon gets out of hand. I had to cruise the lot looking for a spot. I may creep out tomorrow, tuck a few ‘They Start Towing on Friday !’ notes under some windshield wipers – the ones that don’t have the parking placards.


Our ceiling started dripping again, right in the doorway to the bathroom. It’s not a big deal, but I get splashed about eight times a day. It’s on their list, but we finally got the bathtub’s constant running fixed this morning. So I’m happy. Now, if they’d just turn the water back on…


I also turned in Dearest’s DVD to the library, and he found two more he wanted while we were there. I got Hunger Games turned in, and found a copy of Catching Fire, the next book in the set, waiting for me on the Hold shelves. It’s actually really good. I guess it’s not much of a spoiler to say that the lead character lives, but this takes place about six months later, a while past the ‘happily ever after’ ending of HG. That’s fairly rare in literature. I’m kind of re-examining my own addictions to the happy ending I always expect at the end of any book. Or any other media, really. It’s a weird balance – you want more time and adventures from the characters you like, but you hate to destroy that ‘everything’s great now’ feeling you already have.


Sorry, Katniss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment