Monday, March 12, 2012

The thing about those Evil Genius types - they always need more cords !

Current Mood : Slightly Unsettled, which is kinda strange, really. 


Never found the original one, but the embroidery sewing machine place about six blocks away had one to replace it - just fifteen bucks ! And it works perfectly ! I've embroidered three pieces already, including the test and what I'd originally wanted to do Saturday, and you know I'm eager for more. Never fails, at least for me. I can be bored out of my head, nothing to do, but if the power goes out, I can think of a thousand things I *could* be enjoying, if only the electricity would come back on. I never appreciate - or use - anything as much as I do when I lose it, then get it back.


It's not the same place as the ten-blocks-away quilting shop I told ya'll about last month. For a small town, there's clearly a lotta sewing going on ! Nope, I'd never been to this place before today. You may wonder why I knew there was an embroidery sewing machine place within walking distance and had yet to visit, and I wouldn't blame you. Facts are, I visited their sister store in Capital City years and years ago, so far back that USB had not yet become part of everyday Life in the US yet. I was curious about those fancy machines, so I went in - the store was totally empty of other customers, so I asked if I could have a few questions answered.


And I got a clear 'If I must... (sigh)' vibe from all three of the clustered employees, so direct it may as well have been said in words. I definitely heard the sighing. Maybe it was my not-expensive clothes and car that said I wasn't gonna lay out $5000. that day. Perhaps the store had been ridiculously busy ten minutes before I arrived. It's possible my awed expression of wonder may have marked me as a rube. Or it was too close to Christmas, or their ability to do anything but heave sighs died earlier that week and they were mourning the loss as best they could. Whatever it was, I was treated so condescendingly, I only asked two questions, made note of a few of the very rare prices listed, and left quickly. I had a bad taste in my mouth about embroidery sewing machines for years afterward.


Only reason I went for Brody the way I did was because he was within my price range, I could order him online without any snotty salespeople running down my price range and sniffing at me, and he was the first every machine to have a USB port that would keep me from having to buy the stupid-expensive and frequently faulty card-reading system that all machines used until him. I've avoided stores that sell sewing machines as their main business ever since. Even repair places, since the one I visited was mostly a lure to facilitate bigger, more expensive machine sales. Frankly, I don't think they'd even put on display a machine as inexpensive as Brody, for fear of cutting into sales of the big-ticket ones.


I kinda figured that even though the tech had changed a bit, the sales tactics hadn't, and I wasn't eager to put m'self through that again. This store was a bit nicer, but every machine they had was well over $3000. To put it in a bit of perspective, Brody was $500. - still a lotta money, but for the budget minded, much easier to obtain. I'm glad the cord was reasonable, because they were waaaay overpriced on just about everything else. Even the card reader stuff.


I guess they figured all I'd want was the cord, because they didn't ask if I needed anything else or would like to see anything demonstrated. In short, after determining which cord I needed, they didn't really speak to me at all. Ah, well. Maybe I just have 'that kind' of face or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment