Friday, March 30, 2012

One of the good and bad things about being an Arena doll - you get to try on the latest !

Current Mood : On a tide of happy-tired


I actually did sew today, but it was really minor stuff. Cheap-serged the raw edges of all the new fabric I bought earlier this month so I could get it washed – it’d gotten shoved into a box during the shuffle and I just found it Tuesday. I kinda dedicated this afternoon to getting it emptied. Got the loose fabric rolled up and stored, and the new stuff’s in the hamper waiting for the next washday. Also fixed a headband I’d made for Ghoulia that tore, it’s been lingering around the Arena for weeks. Improved the measurements, and wanna test ‘em out tonight. I prefer ribbon headbands with elastic backs to the plastic ones Mattel includes.


I also experimented with sewing elastic into narrow tubes, for my broken-armed Ghoulia. I have elastic that’s a half-inch wide (not big enough), some that’s an inch wide (big enough but very thick) and some really old stuff that’s an inch and a half wide. It’s pretty, but it’s too wide, can’t be turned right-side-out, and looks like a decorative sleeve. Next time I’m out and about, I hope to find some ¾ or inch-wide elastic that’s thinner. Maybe in black.


While I had KJ out and threaded, I made a couple tie-backs for my curtain. Days are so pretty this Spring, I want to get as much light and air in our bedroom as possible. I know it’s Spring, no matter what the calendar says. Dearest Son brought me a dandelion ! That’s Spring.


One thing I still had to work out was how to cut patterns out. Before, I always used the top of the washer or a nearby table, but there’s neither in The Study. Figured I could move KJ to the floor for a moment while I used his surface for the cutting matt and rotary. Worked out just fine, and I have a dress ready to go tomorrow – one I’ve been wanting to make again. Hope it works out !


Oh, and remember a couple weeks back, when I crammed all my thread into the two vintage thread boxes and one smaller one ? I had to shuffle stuff around, and the bigger non-vintage thread box I had didn’t fit the space. Too bad the thread box I wanted – a brown one that matches the two I already have – tends to run about $15. to $20. on eBay. Higher everywhere else. Well, now that my Arena doesn’t have to accommodate a desktop computer, the shelf I had my thread boxes on before was available again. (sigh) So I dug the thread box out of the donations bag and redid my thread storage. If I can find a matching thread box locally, I’m buying, but until then, I’m glad to not have it all crammed up like it was.


Went through the scrap wood left from framing the Garpartment garage doors and selected one that was the same width as my bookcase. Covered in fleece, it became a riser for the male sixth-scale dolls all seated on a shelf. I then fit the girls around them. It’s still too crowded there, but at least now I can see all those beloved doll faces !


I snagged another piece of plywood just a little bigger than one of my fabric-storage milk-crates. Covered in a self-adhesive floor tile, it’s where Elphie and Fiyero hang out these days. Glad I was able to save them some chairs !


Relocated all the backdrops – scrapbook paper, calendar pages, fabric scraps, etc. – to the ‘photo studio’ bookshelf, which freed up a drawer in my rolling cubby. It didn’t stay empty for long, it now holds doll props and furniture, like stands and chairs and stand-alone small Barbie kitchens. I’ve been needing a place for those.


And I finally got my ‘ribbon dancer’ toy cleaned. Remember those ? It’s basically a  kid version of a rhythmic gymnastic ribbon, all shiny and pink/purple. I got to use one for therapy when I broke my upper arm in college, and liked it so much, I bought my own. The wand part got snapped and shortened, and through the years, the ribbon got dirty. Finally washed it in the sink with hand soap, and hung it over the shower curtain rod. It’s now clean and dry, ready for ironing tomorrow. After I play with it for a while first ! (grin)


So it was a busy day – but I got a lot of the stuff I’ve been meaning to do done. Those are always such satisfying days !


No comments:

Post a Comment