Saturday, March 3, 2012

I think today was the funeral for Doll Shop Deluxe...


Current Mood : So Excited !!1!



I know, I know. I said Wednesday that it was high time I sailed away from the rotting hulk of Doll Shop Deluxe and hit my own ocean, finally, but... well...


(sigh) I'm an idiot. One who can resist throwing good money after bad (mostly 'cause we ain't got it to throw !) but can't keep from poking at what I originally spent the money on, no matter how much I know it's dead, useless, and stinking.  Yes, I spent a good chunk of yesterday and today messing with DSD. Stated, I am an idiot. I managed to get DSD 7 sort-of working, but LivingSoft NW no longer recognizes my purchase code, even though it's correct, even if I cut-paste it directly from their own online records, it comes back 'invalid'. If I were the suspicious sort, I'd think they read my blogs over the past ten years and voided it, it worked in 2010. Anyway...where were we ? Oh, right. I'm an idiot. And my code, that I paid a hundred dollars for around 2003 or so, no longer works.


DSD 7 is about what I want. It's not the 'new improved' version that has turned every feature into a pay-per-use revenue stream for LivingSoft NW, it has the patterns I'm used to, etc. I could even deal with the 'no print during Trial mode' limits. But it's still useless to me since it won't save measurements. I could input Ghoulia's figures all day, but if DSD won't save it, then it won't come up when I need it to figure the patterns, so it's more of a waste of time than it was when it actually sort~of worked. Unless I want more Barbie or American Girl patterns, DSD may as well finally be dead to me. I'm not even gonna bother contacting LivingSoft NW with this, because they'll either shrug or ignore me, or come right out and laugh. I don't need their half-azzed program that bad. Maybe it took today for me to finally realize that. Wish I had a hard-copy of this tangle of barely functional programming, so I could give it a symbolic burial in the backyard, or better yet, drive it over to the landfill on my way to buy some good paper towels. 


Now that I'm finally over it (here's hoping !), there's better ways to spend my time. I tweaked my blog a bit to post a few favorite links, and took the Kind Hearted Blogger pledge. From there, I had to figure out how to post images on the right side of the thing. See ? There it is ! I try to be kind, really...I know I'm a bit snarky (like the ocean is 'a bit wet'), but I normally save it for companies, not individuals. I don't wanna hurt anyone, but if there's one place on this planet for my stubborn opinions, I figure that's here, and I won't apologize for that. Hope you'll stay anyway ! And send me your link if you got a blog - I love to read about my friends' lives, and would love to share your link, too !


There was a neat option to post Flickr images over there, too, but since most of the daily images *are* or *were* Flickr images, I didn't see how that'd work well for us. Might dredge up some really old 2010 pictures, but who wants to see those ole things again ? ( I secretly spent an hour looking at those very same earliest MH photos on Thursday)


Got my paper towels, as promised, and found a place to hide them. Kinda ranks that I have to, but they weren't the cheap ones, and if I leave 'em out, the roll will vanish without so much as the cardboard tube remaining within three days. And I won't have used a single sheet of 'em. Ask me how I know. I once watched someone tear off three paper towels to wipe one pair of glasses dry, then throw all three away, so I'm kinda hoarding. Remember when I sewed up a fabric lid for that plastic craft tote ? I made it so oversized, a full roll of paper towels can fit in there, no problem. That tote is now better than it was when it had its original lid ! Sometimes I'm really happy with me.


I was in a great mood, and it was a lovely day. So when Dearest wanted to play outside, I went with - and dragged everything I'd need to draft some patterns. Since I have a demolished DracuLaura body in my sewing arsenal, I made sure she came with, 'cause I wanted to make some pants. that. fit. Wasn't quite sure how, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with tracing her crotch curve and drawing the familiar pants-shape around it, adding seam allowances and such.


And that's what I did. When I compared it to what DSD kept giving me, even tweaked, I could see that I wasn't the one at fault for all those bad pants. That curve was waaay off. So now, I wanted to sew mine - bad ! Grabbed a paper towel, and got to it. A half hour later, I had a completed pair of toreador pants. Twenty minutes after that, I got to try them on a doll. Seriously, it took me that long to get them turned right-side-out without tearing 'em. Those towels are very durable, but I'd handled and done a lot to 'em. Heck, I figured hemming the waistband would trash the stuff, but it didn't.


Best. fit. ever. But a bit too tight in the hips, which didn't surprise me, I'd gone a bit wide with those darts, and figured it'd cost me. I've redrawn the pattern and hope to have a new version tomorrow. I am *so* keeping that curve. It's perfect !


Now I'm sort of wishing that DSD had crapped out on me a couple years ago - or I'd been intelligent enough to know it wasn't what it claimed to be before I spent the cash. Drafting my own is a thousand times more exciting !


I can't wait for tomorrow !

No comments:

Post a Comment