Tuesday, March 20, 2012

And now, the fun begins !

Current Mood : Wiped out.



Uncle left about 4am, with his good-byes already said, hugs well exchanged, and best wishes set in cement for his safe journey. He’s already there safely, so that’s a relief ! It’s still raining, but not near so violently as yesterday.


But that meant we had a lot to do ! As soon as he woke up and saw the Garpartment was vacant, Dearest Son began moving his packed boxes and books. Unfortunately, Beloved Hubby and I were still asleep, having been up late with the new laptops and lists of various tasks and supplies. By the time we were up and ready for breakfast, he’d fallen asleep on the left-behind bed, surrounded by Lego bits of Black Pearl and hand-drawn illustrations of what items of his he wanted where.


But first, we had to clear out a short ton of stuff Uncle left behind, including things left from when BIL lived in there, and stuff F&MIL had shoved into the garage. I swear, I’m about a year shy of living in a hoarder house. Some of this stuff was parts of other things thrown out years ago. And FIL wanted to be in the middle of it, to veto what got tossed or not. I can’t blame him, most of it is his crap, but it’s been sitting for three years, with more piled on and the washer flooding beneath – decide and either toss or find somewhere else for it to be !  We kinda need to get at that space to fix the wiring and finish framing the walls. Most of the boxes fell apart when opened.


We ended up ditching quite a bit with approval, and it wasn’t long before most of it was loaded into the dark blue van of a family two blocks over. Y’see, the first Saturday in April is Spring Cleaning for the City – you can locate large trash curbside for pickup. Most people use it to spruce up and redecorate, others to score new stuff for free. You literally could furnish a home from stem to stern out of some neighborhoods. We got rid of a bookcase, Dearest Son’s outgrown bunk beds, a broken, stained chair, and a set of fabric paints, among hundreds of other, smaller things. I’m just glad it went to a family, instead of the resellers who also tend to prowl the weekends before Spring Cleaning. We got their cell number, in case we decide to ditch anything else big.


At day’s end, all his toys and most of his stuff had been moved. We still had his computer and TV to go. We decided to give my old desktop computer to FIL, so it was up to me to move and back up my files, and install / delete software. Sounds much easier than the heavy work Beloved had, but I was easily as exhausted. But it was done, and we got the Arena moved, Beloved’s new desk assembled and in place, and my computer was broken down out of the Arena and moved to FIL’s digs. I was a little sad to see it go.


But, I’m still getting used to a laptop, and all the freedom it implies. I played around with it in bed today, and that was partly weird, partly wonderful. Predictably, it’s between Brody and KJ, my awesome sewing machines, in the Arena right now, since that’s still ‘my dream space’. I got to redecorate it a bit, although half my stuff’s in various boxes still, waiting for tomorrow.


I think that’s a theme now…

No comments:

Post a Comment