Saturday, March 17, 2012

Movin' right along...

Current Mood : Relieved and content


After a day of  maybe / maybe not, now we know for sure. Uncle is heading out and moving on Monday, or before dawn Tuesday, at the latest. He’s starting to pack and plan as I type. In a way, it’s great luck, since we’ll have Spring Break to get it all done, but I was hoping it’d be a bit longer before Uncle had to go…


And knowing that, I had a choice to make. I had a fixed budget for the blanket I wanted to make for Uncle’s new grand-daughter – I could either get it done today and use the best material I could find, and send it along with Uncle (he agreed to take it to them for us) or I could cheap out, get lazy, and mail an inferior one later. For once, I did the right thing. Got up off my big ole butt and headed over to Hobby Lobby, and bought the most lovely lavender Polar Fleece (the good stuff, from Malden Mills !) I could find, at a great price. I also had the idea of making Baby a ‘taggie’ toy, so I got a markdown bag of satin and grosgrain ribbon that was so beautiful, I wanted it regardless.


Curved the corners and ran a double line of zig-zag hemming in cream, then hooped it up for Brody’s turn. The vine heart, with green leaves and Baby’s initial in the center, came out very pretty, I think. Came up with some silly care / use directions (‘Do Not Taunt Super-Happy Fun-Times Blanket / Floor Play Cloud’  ‘Documented use compels Primary User to attend an unpaid internship with ComHugeCorp. at age eighteen (18) to obtain Valuable Life Skills, a service provided without charge to parents courtesy of ComHugeCorp.’) and sent those along. Was happy with it.


Not quite so happy with the ‘taggie’ – it’s basically different textures of ribbon sewn securely to more fleece, a sensory toy to get chewed on, drooled on, thrown, discovered, and touched. It’s easy to throw in the wash, and the more it’s played with, the softer and more compelling it gets for many babies. It’s as secure as I could sew it, but now that it’s packed up, I wonder if some of the ribbon lengths are too long. I’m sure her Momma can cut it if it’s not right for her, I just don’t want her to think I don’t care about Baby. Arrrgh. 




Got to go to a bookstore, but the only things in the whole place that sparked my interest were a pair of owls. One was a huge two-foot wingspan puppet with a mechanism that allowed his head to pivot, the other was a cute little stuffie Burrowing Owl perched on a stack of Harry Potter merch.  'Douglas' ended up coming home with us, and yes, he's the not-puppet one. Seriously, that one was huge. I much prefer my little burrower. He has not a thing to do with HP, he was just there for display or funzies, not entirely sure. I do know that Ghoulia just loves him ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment