Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I finally got down to business !

Current Mood : Invigorated and eager

Current Image Notes : Click to embiggen. It's hilarious, and you wanna read it all !


After weeks of delays and procrastinating, mentioning it then letting it fade away, I finally got to it and... all the pieces I need to make that soft-side Monster High box for my dolls' shoes have been cut and assembled. That's actually the biggest part of the project, getting it all cut out. It takes hours. And lemme tell ya, it's a lot easy to cut out fabric and interfacing with a rotary than it is to cut 6mm-thick craft foam. Since there's six parts to cut out - foam, fleece, interfacing, and three different fabric sets - I figured I'd do half today, half tomorrow. But the hardest part of cutting out is at the first, and I'd already wrecked the dining room table with fabric bits and tools everywhere, so I figured I may as well get it over with.

Unfortunately, the fabric I wanted to use for the inside wasn't quite big enough. I needed one piece that was eleven inches square, and all mine were ten or less. A seam wouldn't look good, and would possibly compromise the box's integrity, so I went with a different inside material. And got to the last cuts and...found I was about two inches too short for two needed pieces. Arrrgh. Also, the embroidery test stitch out I wanted to use for the lid was too small, so I had to make a reverse applique out of it, with a correctly sized square. Just not sure I got that embroidery centered right. So this is gonna be a unique, interesting box !


Thing is, once it's all cut out, it only takes maybe two or three hours to assemble it. I'm hoping it'll be done by this weekend. I'd do it tomorrow, but I have another project to finish first - for Dearest Son's newest friend.


A very sweet, seemingly lonely girl about his age moved in down the street a couple weeks ago, and she introduced herself to a scooter-riding Dearest last week. They've become fast friends, and now that the parents have met, she is most welcome to visit after school. Turns out, she's a huge MH fan, too, so I'm gonna make her one of my super-simple zipper bags, using one of the other 'shield' logo test stitch outs. She mentions that she keeps losing the props, I thought this might help. I think I'll call her 'Friend H'. Oliver-kitty has also 'marked' his approval of her, although we have to extend a bit of caution, as she's allergic to cats.


And if you like today's image, see 'em all here - http://talkstarwarstome.blogspot.com/2012/02/disney-magazines-for-men-and-women.html . They came from Petite Tiaras, also worth a look - http://petitetiaras.tumblr.com/ . There's a load of more, each more awesome than the next, so don't be surprised if you seen the Flynn Rider one soon. It's so hot !

No comments:

Post a Comment