Saturday, March 10, 2012

So pretty - I love 'em all !

Current Mood : Resigned.



Aren't they adorable ? I just don't know what to call them - I've heard 'Dot Dead Gorgeous', which is what was on the boxes at Toy Fair last month, but also 'Dance Party', and various other 'dot' and 'dead' versions. While I like Lagoona's for its asymmetrical style, I hope to find Operetta's sold separately on eBay once they start coming out.


Well. Gorgeous dolls I don't have aside, today was not a very good one. Oh, it started out nicely enough - Beloved Hubby asked me to make a dust cover for his new laser printer, and finally he picked out fabric. I gleefully got to it, and it wasn't until I asked 'drawstring or elastic' that he told me he just wanted a drape for it, really, not anything more than a thicker-than-usual doily. That meant I was pretty much already done.


So I decided to do some embroidery on it. Yes, I know. You haven't heard that I've used Brody, my embroidery sewing machine, for anything in months. That's because I haven't gone near Brody in nearly a year. Between being sick and the move, and then just plain reluctance and a bit of fear-worry, I simply couldn't make m'self do anything. I figured I'd want to, soon enough, and when that day came, it'd all work out. And today was that day !


Since it'd been so long since I embroidered, I figured I'd do a test run first - can always make a pencil case or something out of the swatch. Got some printer-cover cutaway prepped and hooped, and got the cover marked for center. The design I wanted to use is one of Beloved's favorites, so I wouldn't even need to use the USB cord. But...where is Brody's power cord ?


Brother, Brody's manufacturer, suggests that he be left unplugged when not in active use. And I followed that instruction to the letter. When we moved, he wasn't plugged in, so it was easy for someone else to get him moved and packed...and I have no memory of where that cord went.


I spent the rest of the afternoon digging in totes, barreling through boxes, and investigating the most likely hidey-holes several times over...nothing. I wanted to cry. I was finally ready to embroider, and I couldn't, and I still have no memory of where that cord was packed at all. I found everything else, of course, even the foot pedal I never use with him, but no cord.


Arrgh. Well, turns out we can replace it for less than twenty bucks, but still. Very frustrating. Since it wouldn't make a difference if we ordered one today or Monday, I asked that we wait until I've gone through as much as I can before we mail-order one. If I don't find it by Monday, and none of the local sewing shops have one, we can order it from Brother or any of a dozen sources, and probably have it by Friday. Still, so aggravating.


But, at least I got the cover mostly done, and it's in use now. At least it'll keep Oliver-kitty's fur out of the new printer ! And I found the shelf Beloved made for Dearest Son's room that he didn't want - it's now in use in our room, keeping Beloved's text books off the floor, which, for me, is cause for minor celebration. I also found a remedial Calculus book he'd been looking for, and several winter hats and scarves we can still use. That emptied another milk crate that I've sorta been needing for my misc. junk. And I also found a bobbin of pale pink thread, and a bag of Dearest's clothes I need to donate. I may never find Brody's original cord, but the whole mess at least has done some good !

2 comments:

  1. I think that Operetta is my fave from that group. ^^

    You know, I find that when I lose something, I can never locate it until I buy a replacement. Then it turns up somewhere I swear I've already looked.

    What if you made a "pencil case" style holder for cords/dongles, along with an elastic or other type of cinch to hold the case onto the piece of equipment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a wise idea - it's easy to attach a loop to one of my zipper bags, and use a split key ring or cheap carabiner to attach it to Brody's handle. That's good advice, and I'm gonna steal it ! Thanks.

    Here's hoping I can find a local one, but there's always online - I found four places that sell the cord, including BrotherMall.com. So I'm ok, just inconvenienced. And whiny.

    Operetta is the one I most wanna find the outfit from on eBay ! But if I *must* get the doll for the outfit, I guess I'll live...(wink)

    ReplyDelete