Monday, January 13, 2014

Oh, yeahhhhhh ! Go me, go me, go, go meeee !

Current Notes: I'm reasonably satisfied with today's efforts. 




I had time to sew last night, what I lacked was the energy. I was limp after dinner, but too awake to sleep, and too off-focus to do anything creative. So I read one of my Library books, spent quality sofa time with my guys and  old episodes of Knight Rider on DVD, and let the weekend wind down. Poured m’self to bed, vowing to sew tomorrow.


But first, groceries ! I enjoy the challenge of getting as much as we can with what we have. I scan the local ads online, dig through the pantry, check the levels of staple foods, clean out the fridge, just in case. FIL has a slightly annoying tendency to put containers back with miniscule amounts inside, and a quick glance won’t tell me if he’s done it again. Small budget this week, but I got what we needed, so I was happy with me. Tucked aside $20. for Dearest Son’s birthday this week – Rarity is on her way !


I also got an unexpected bonus. Stuck to the grocery cart was a beautiful sparkling rhinestone cherry… something. Thought it was a pin, but there’s no pin back, just a large magnet. I asked the cashier if it was hers, she said no, but no one’s reported anything like it missing, so I may as well keep it. Wow. It’s really pretty. Ghoulia would love it.


After lunch and a quick nap, I decided there was no time like the present to solve the great mystery – would View B of Simplicity 2454 work well enough to approximate a forty-year old doll dress that I’ve wanted to make my own way with my own fabric ideas  since I was six years old ? It took about two and a half hours,  and that’s with it already cut out, Fray-checked, and ready to go. Directions were so standard, I barely read them. My pattern drop doubles as a great directions holder !


You should have seen me lock up for a good five minutes when I came to the set-in sleeves ! I haven’t done those in years, and back when I did, it was mostly in Barbie-scale. I wasn’t sure if I could even still do them correctly… I didn’t do them that well back then, either. Had to try, though. And I could ! Much easier when you’re working with more than three inches of fabric, I can tell ya that ! I wasn’t sure about the elastic on the sleeves, either – Timey’s watch is non-removable*, and all her clothes have to work with it. But that turned out fine, too. It’s funny, though, that I have three copies of Timey’s issue dress, and on each of them, the sleeve elastic is shot. The new dress is the only one with it intact !


And, as you can see from the photo, I’m really pleased with it. I need to use thicker fabric, so her speaker holes don’t show, or make her a slip, but aside from a few tweaks, that’s a good pattern. Not sure if I’m still gonna get #1713 now. I might, if I don’t have to drive all the way to PreviousTown just for that. I think I can wait ‘til it goes on sale at Hobby Lobby – or I can work on uniting the two pieces myself. After all, #2454 is pretty darn close to the original issue dress as it is !


Still have closures to put in, and I’ll do that tomorrow – I’ve somehow ended up with a headache, even though I’m really happy ! May start another project tomorrow, just not sure what yet.


Ya know what really makes me happy ? I didn't have to tear apart a vintage dress to get the pattern ! Whoo-hoo ! 



(Technically, Timey’s watch is removable, but it’s bolted to her arm, and takes a lotta effort. And once removed, it leaves a huge hole just above her wrist, dooming her to long sleeves forever. Not worth the effort, really. If you could get a good match, you could always head/body swap, or maybe arm-swap, if the watch was really annoying. To me, she’s not Timey without it. )

1 comment:

  1. Knight Rider! My favorite!

    Timey's dress looks fantastic! Way to go! Hope your son has a fantastic birthday, mine's this week too!

    ReplyDelete