Sunday, January 19, 2014

♫ The Art of the...skirt ?♪ Oh, well.

Current Notes: I'm sewing for a pony who makes clothes. Am I meta yet ? 




Whoo-hoo ! Beloved Hubby needed a tool from Harbor Freight, so we were off to PreviousTown today ! Even got to make a quick run through Hancock Fabrics. So now, I not only own Simplicity #1713, I also own two new pretty fabrics, and I spent less than five bucks total. Not bad, considering the one piece was from a $13. bolt, and the other used a 50% off coupon, so a half-yard was $1.25, cheaper than the $2.29  fat quarter just a few feet away. I’m good !

                                                                                           
Only problem is, I now know that #1713 isn’t gonna work for what I wanted. Oh, it’s a one-piece jumper-style dress – problem is, the yoke / ‘blouse’ is fused to the front of the dress, not sewn. Ah, well. It was still only a dollar, and I’m sure to get some use out of the other pattern pieces. Wonder if the pants will fit. And who knows, I might just tweak View A to make it what I want, just for kicks. I’m sincerely glad #2454 worked as well as it did, or I’d be completely discouraged !


Once home, everyone split off to their own projects – Beloved to use his new tools, Dearest Son somehow got MIL’s ancient, defunct laptop to work, so he wanted to play with it some more – which left me time for a short sewing project. Decided to take my first swing at pony clothing with my new Rarity. Decided a simple waistband skirt would serve as a good jump-off point, and earn some sewing experience for a completely unique body to sew for. Even waistband skirts only take about a half hour, and the fit and any issues would teach me a lot.


I’d wanted to make my own stuffed pony, but I’m glad I got this one. She’s so pretty and fun to play with. Despite her manufacturer, she’s not a ‘beanie’ toy, she’s solid soft-stuffed. The one I was looking to sew would have been much bigger, possibly not as much fun to work with. Besides, I may have to make my own Luna at this rate, anyway.



It came out well, but I made the classic blunder of not thinking how the skirt would hang. As in, a skirt that’s one length all the way around would be too long in ‘front’, barely cover the haunch in ‘back’. Still, it looked good, and with a bit of plucking, photographed OK. While my pattern might have been two paper rectangles, the skirt part’s been altered to start off an inch higher in front, so Rarity won’t trip. Yes, I worry how a toy pony might somehow move in my clothes creations. I’m cray-cray ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment