Saturday, March 16, 2013

Undies and Bodices - all day ! Oh, my !


Current Mood : A bit eye-strained, but happy ! 




You’d think, after my success with Ghoulia’s lovely glittery blue dress, I’d be all over m’self to sew more. And I kind of am, I’m trying to figure out what will work best for each doll, what style, what colors. But today, with another 80-something degree afternoon free to sew, instead, I found m’self reaching for scrap fabric and the box ‘o patterns. BTW, I know we had two days of snow (which melted the same day), but I think we skipped winter. Saw three dandelions today. (smile)


After I got all the patterns sorted – honestly, I’d tossed them in the box any which way, no wonder I couldn’t find anything – I pulled out the NG Creations’ Panties (#18) and One-Shouldered Bodice (#2) from her first pattern set. Poor DLaura really needed undies, and after repeated failures at making them for Barbie, I sincerely wondered if I could sew ‘em for the ghouls. As for one-shouldered bodices, well, ya’ll know I’m a sucker of asymmetrical stuff, and I’ve been considering making Cleo a one-shoulder gown in gold. So I wanted practice, and since they were already printed out when I wanted other pattern pieces, why not now ?


I made the first set as the pattern dictated. Both sewed up well and matched up fairly decently – more later – but I kinda thought the panties looked more like track shorts and the bodice was kinda tight. So I did a few alterations and sewed ‘em up again. (sigh) While I think the second pair of panties look better, photos show that it’s not a big improvement, really. Either way, the dolls are well-covered and they can sit without their new undies impeding them or causing them to tip back after a while. So these panties aren’t the most scanty, they cover and are modest, so they get my ‘will sew again’ rating!


The bodice taught me a few things, the hard way. (sigh ) First, it didn’t quite match up in the back. One side was much taller than the other. Part of that was my hemming – it always goes a bit off at the very ends – but even the pattern didn’t match, either. So I trimmed it a bit and added a quarter-inch to the back, so it wasn’t so snug. The second one is too loose, and has to hang ‘just so’ or the boyfiends get a peek. It also throws the strap off the shoulder, so the fit I mostly liked was further off than I liked. Took the quarter-inch off the pattern, it kinda needs to fit snugly, since there aren’t darts. It did, however, match in the back now, so I left that bit.


Kinda funny that I had fun all day sewing patterns I’ve had for years ! 

1 comment: