Friday, March 15, 2013

My favorite little star...


Current Mood : Heavy headed.



Sewed late last night and had so much fun – and learned a few things, too. First, if you’re gonna deal with this fabric, have some half-dead tape around. Many of the cutaway crinkly strands have a charge to them (or maybe it’s just me) that’ll make ‘em jump out from under your hands when you go to clean your arena for the next big project. A bit of tape, even half-used and stuck there for no discernible reason, will help get your surfaces ready for the new experiment.


Second, my ‘original’ dress pattern is nothing new. When I was digging through the designs I had for DracuLaura’s skirt the other day, I saw several similar. Not just like mine, but close enough. I don’t know if I cribbed those without thinking, or it simply didn’t occur to me that something that simple and easy would have already been done long ago, but however it happened, I’m still gonna release my version. Wanna tweak it a bit more, though…


And since I’d been wondering if it’d work with the new fabric, that’s what I sewed last night ! Since the test ones were made with woven cottons, it was a bit of an experiment to use a knit. It sewed up fine, but it didn’t quite ‘hang’ the way I wanted – while the fabric’s light in your hands, it kinda pulls itself down a bit on a doll. Spoils the line, in my opinion. So I re-sewed the underarm/side seams about another eighth of an inch in from the original seams, and that shaped it a lot better. I may as well admit it, ‘triangle’ angled skirts just don’t work with knits. It’s fine for pretty day-dress cottons, that shape actually looks more feminine. But this fabric just murmurs, ‘sophisticated’, which looks better slim and straight. Still, it’s nice to have a dress out of this stuff with sleeves !


I then spent more time digging in the shoe box, then the glasses and jewelry box, for accessories than I did sewing (and re-sewing) the dress. Have you ever noticed that Ghoulia’s ears don’t match ? Not that it matters, she looks great in huge silver hoops ! I tell ya, Mattel has made hundreds of shoes for these ghouls – and I should know, I have most of ‘em ! – and I have dozens of custom ones bought from artists and others made by me, but not one pair of them worked with this dress. Ended up going with the dull silver. Sooner or later, I’ll have to Sharpie a pair of white glasses, too. I have a great necklace to go with Ghoulia’s whole ‘look’, but I wanted to show off that neckline. I’m proud of it.


Think I’ll make that slim black skirt tonight – the one I sewed for DLaura is too short when she sits down !

No comments:

Post a Comment