Thursday, August 11, 2011

A pretty picture...with a rambling mess !



Current Mood : Lost


When you can't get scrap fabric lined up on the grid well enough to cut it, well, it's time to give y'self a few more days before trying a Creative Day again. As it is, I nicked a fingernail with my usually above-reproach trusty rotary cutter, a reminder that safety still needs to lead enthusiasm and eagerness. Coulda been a lot worse, so I'm goin' back to the drawing board - where hopefully I'll be able to actually sit down and actually *do* something soon ! 


I mean, I kinda don't get it. I'm sleeping nearly through the night lately. I still can't taste salty things at all - imagine opening a fresh bag of microwave popcorn, and you can smell the oversalted goodness...but you may as well be eating polystyrene, or the bottom of the bag bits from a package of 1982 rice cakes, plain, no salt, no flavorings - and that's really put a crimp in my appetite. Which is a good thing, I'm sure, but I'm often dizzy and spinny in the late afternoon, and that's probably from not eating anything save jelly toast at breakfast. So tonight, Beloved bought me a big bag of Clemintines (tiny oranges !), some small snack cakes, and single-serve peach cups. That should help, but I really wish my sense of taste would go back to normal. But it's got nothin' to do with how weak I still feel, or how much sleep I'm getting. (sigh) Summer '11 was just not good to me this year...


From the 'Ancient News' file, something nonetheless still interesting from Tonner Dolls. I confess, I don't keep up with them as passionately as I used to, seeing as how I'm going under fast with $22. Monster High dolls - one new Tonner, and I'd be swimmin' in red ink for two years ! Anyway, back on July 19th, they issued this statement about how they're adjusting their sales calendar to fit their buyers. See if you react the same way I did : 


"With our collector's ever-increasing reliance on the internet we realize a major shift in purchasing patterns has firmly taken hold. Collectors enjoy being able to obtain products they desire as fast as possible and without having time for reconsideration. Coupled with a year-round flow of product from our factories we have developed a new schedule of future product releases."


Huh ? Tonner now thinks we want just 'stimulus / response' - see doll, buy doll, move on to next doll to be announced in a week or two ? I sincerely hope I'm misreading that, or the intention isn't what I get. 'Without reconsideration' seems like a sales ploy along the lines of 'don't give 'em time to think, just buy or worry about not getting it !'. How many of us purchase that way ? Even when I'm buying a doll mostly for her glasses, clothes, or locker (uncomfortable grin), I weigh the whole thing carefully - can I make the lockers ? Do we already have those glasses in that color ? I like to believe that most of us think before we reach for the credit cards, but I can't help but read that Tonner wishes something else. 


Come to think of it, I have some pipe cleaners hanging around...wouldn't they make some funky sunglasses !

No comments:

Post a Comment