Wednesday, August 10, 2011

100th Entry ! Sorry it took all month...



Current Mood : Nostalgic, a little. 


You know I over-did it when I'm back to 'work on one day, photos the next', because I can't do both without keeling over. It reminds me of just after Dearest Son was born. Suddenly the 'super easy' breadmaker was a breathless, long, taxing ordeal, and I did not like that at all ! But when holding your breath to take a photo - in hopes of keeping the camera still - leaves you gasping for two minutes between shots, you're kind of in deep. 


Somewhere in the middle of everything, while staring mutely at darn near every doll I own - I was stuck in the living room for a while, and I'd placed a TV tray with most of the new Monster High dolls on it in front of my big doll bookcase, for blog photography - I came to a small conclusion. And it's another 'back when', so strap in or bag it 'til I update tomorrow's entry, I wouldn't blame ya for abandoning ship, it gets boring. Anyway...

While I never really liked Spectra, for reasons that go beyond that stupid mess with the fan website, and I haven't seen Abbey Bominable to this day, I've decided against getting either. It's silly, but way back when (I tried to warn you !), I had six 'Barbie' dolls. Princess Leia, a 1991-with-bangs Belle, Sailor Jupiter, Shinobu, a green-eyed Whitney, and a generic blonde with cut-short hair I sort of pitied. All of them fit inside a stuffed toy Bennie cab (from Who Framed Roger Rabbit ?, by Applause) I'd picked up at a yard sale for a dollar. I could change the display, it was fun and cute, and if I wanted new clothes for everyone - this is a decade before I sewed - it'd cost me less than $10. at either Dollar Tree or TRU. Provided I stuck to the less expensive offerings, of course ! All their clothes fit in a small jewelry box, with the top shelf serving well as shoe and jewelry storage. 

'New' dolls would come and go, and it wasn't long before more Disney dolls - bought for pennies - and Barbies I could identify began to stay. This new doll on Mal-Wart's shelves was *gorgeous*...but so was this old one at the bottom of a gnarly basket at the Capital City Flea Market, who just needed some attention and a bath. I was still only up to ten or so when Dearest was born, but that doesn't tell the whole story. I had at least twice that in still-sealed boxes, holdovers from the Big Barbie Boom when everyone was told to invest in collectables, plus the plain and simple fact that I'd worked for TRU and Disney Store by then. Stupidly, I let strangers tell me how to spend money I didn't really have, so I never even had the fun of opening and playing with the dolls. I didn't like them, and right now, have no idea where they even are. I *gave* quite a few away, which is kinda counter-productive to the original idea, even I gotta admit...

Still, once Dearest was here, and Life seemed happy and settled (ha ! Never trust that 'settled' feeling !), I felt the need to amass huge quantities of dolls. Not every doll that took my fancy - and there were plenty of non-Barbie dolls I'd love to have back then as now ! - but I thought I was doin' m'self and the family a favor by limiting it to sixth-scale dolls and accessories. Before long, and with the encouragement of yard sales, online doll groups, and my own inner hungers, I'd amassed over 200 - all Barbie-size, and with enough clothes to go around twice...but I did have this elaborate explanation about why there were only 37 wedding gowns that was kinda ridiculous. 

Before long, I couldn't keep up with which doll had which name, or was in what family, so I decided to start a website, to help me keep up with my little soap opera -that I was rapidly running out of time to enjoy. Eventually things came to a head when I had time to a) keep the doll town drama going, b) keep the website updated, c) sew, or d) pack up all that stuff, since we were moving to a much smaller place, with no cellar to play in. 

One massive yard sale later, we were back down to 50 dolls and a relieved Beloved Hubby, but I still had most of the props and clothes. And it wasn't gonna be long before an incredible doll named Elphie came along...arrrgh.

Well, that reins me in a bit, which is fortunate. Simply stated, I already have too many dolls for my mind and imagination to support. Elphie and Fiyero barely get dusted these days, and I still want to sew for Timey Tell and the Little Disney Princesses. As the Monster High class stands, there's six girls and four (or three, depending on how you count Jackson and Holt) guys - thank Everything there's only one standard Male and Female body to sew for ! Yeah, adding in just Abbey wouldn't be taxing at all, but as it is, I have the right amount to sew and plot for. Maybe when my health goes back (prayhopeyearn), I'll consider this new girl, since I already think she's awesome. But now, I just don't have the mindspace. 

I finally realized that, especially now, I have some limits. That's not a bad thing, really. That means I have a challenge any time I want one - to get past those limits ! - or a factor I can be more appreciative of, when I find a huge, uber-cheap stash. Knowing your limits can keep a doll hoarder like me from making even more money and mind-space mistakes ! 

With all that said, don't be surprised if I suddenly go on a doll-thinning spree shortly after the seasons change. For one, that happens nearly every year, and secondly, I'm much overdue. If it doesn't engage me, then it's just taking up mental room, and that's even more limited than Chez Insanity's living room !

No comments:

Post a Comment