Tuesday, February 4, 2014

'The Slump' - I got it.

Current Notes: Dearest Son’s ‘regular’ Fluttershy and the ‘Get Well Soon’ Fluttershy we got from Target Saturday. Don’t worry – she was deboxed Sunday morning.




Oh, and before I forget, I stumbled over this earlier today – step-by-step directions on how to make a doll lab coat for any size doll from a basic doll coat pattern, which it also links directions to.


And I also forgot to tell ya’ll – mostly because I’m bitter, and forgetful – that Slo Moe has been appearing on retail shelves in Germany and Canada. I have no idea why Mattel hates the US so much, I’m sure they make most of their money here. But not one has shown up yet, not even in California, where new dolls almost always show up first. My reaction was a shrug and a sigh. I don’t know what happened first, the over-saturation or the just plain exhaustion, but lately, my interest in all things MH has plummeted. Of the last four MH dolls I’ve bought, two were to make other dolls, and one was so inexpensive, it was worth it just for her shoes. I had no interest in the doll at all, and two bucks more expensive, I wouldn’t have bought her, truth be told.



I’m sure with the new dolls coming out – ghost/mermaid mix, a centaur/harpy fusion, and a skeleton/moth combo, probably the big reveal at Toy Fair this month – whenever Mattel deems the US fit to throw money at them again, interest everywhere else will be high. But restoring thrift store dolls and making the dolls I want but can’t find/ can’t buy/ nobody makes has been the most fun I’ve had in months, and sewing what I’ve always wanted for my larger dolls has been so rewarding…  mere shopping isn’t the draw it used to be. And I’ve long since associated MH with drawn-out  frantic doll hunts, then seeing the same doll I so desperately chased shelf warm for weeks until a holiday or another frenzy hits… forgive me if I sound old, but I am tired. Nothing I’ve seen has excited me, and my enthusiasm for even Slo Mo has been dragged out since November, and I just can’t sustain it another month. I am so slipping into ‘don’t care’ land…


At least I'm not angry about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment