Sunday, February 9, 2014

It's easy to get mixed up at the Thrift...

Current Notes: Help ! I'm on a used-doll bender ! 
Click for biggies !




After being cooped up for most of the weekend with W-whatever forms, I was ready for some alone fun time ! So I hit the neighborhood thrift in hopes that it’d be ‘blue tag’ day, so I could scoop up dolls cheap for their clothes !


Although I got there a few minutes after opening, someone beat me to it, because the only dolls in bags did not have blue tags, and they didn’t look like the ones I’d been scoping. Oh, well. Didn’t have my heart set on any of ‘em, no loss. They did have a huge bin of what looked to be Barbie dolls, at $1.98 each… hmm. Mostly Disney Princesses with a few blonde Barbies mixed in. I saw Belle, about six Ariels, Mulan, a couple Cinderellas, an Aurora/ Brier Rose/ Sleeping Beauty, three more Rapunzels, Tinkerbell and two other fairies, and a Snow White. I wondered if that was one collection or several !


I snagged a pretty Ariel, and changed her from the generic blue and white Cinderella gown she had on into the ‘Brier Rose’ dress Tink was wearing. I always liked that dress, and Ariel wore a similar costume in her film. Yeah, the bin said ‘as-is’, but I figured that referred more to their hair than their clothes. And I redressed Tink, of course. Found a baggie of small doll props for 25c and a gallon baggie of art charcoal sticks at the same price. Wasn’t sure if Beloved Hubby still experimented with charcoal, but at 25c, he had plenty to play with. Most of the sticks had yet to be opened, and still wore Hobby Lobby prices stickers. I got a great deal.


Perused the loose larger dolls in the Toys section – toddler Tink is gone, hopefully to a new home, and a Little Disney Princess Snow White was there, wearing Disney Princess and Me Tiana’s dress, for some strange reason. I wondered if I’d missed Tiana, and mourned slightly. There was a raft of Dora The Explorer and your usual Dollar General generic babies, and several nude Cabbage Patch dolls jockeying for space in the bin. Also some loose Barbie furniture I’d have loved to buy, but I was kind of pushing it with the stuff I had. Yes, of course I snagged Snow. I’ve been missing the LDPs, and that dress alone was worth more than $1.98, even if it was on the wrong doll.


Came home and researched Snow while I cleaned her. She’s an odd one. Her hair is very curly for the character, and all of her, head to toes, was hard hollow plastic, not soft vinyl. She’s also a bit smaller than most LDPs. She has palm-to-rear hands, her eyes were very different from most other dolls of her genre, her feet are smaller than any other LDP, and her head was smashed down a bit. Eventually clued to her being a Mattel 2009 Snow, made just prior to the similar ‘My Friend’ LDPs. Mattel made a later line with molded bodices and shoes, with elastic sleeves and skirts, and if I thought Snow looked a bit on the cheap-made side, those molded-clothes girls really looked bad. This Snow was probably produced to coincide with the Blu-Ray home video release the same year. So, while my ‘new’ Snow is rare and unusual, she’s not well regarded, but that’s fine with me. I think she’s very pretty !


And say what you will about hard plastic, it cleans up fairly easily. Her hair was another matter. It was wild and smashed flat in the back, and those curls snarled something fierce !  My doll comb lost another tooth on the first stroke. The black string that invisibly sewed her red bow to her head snagged it. Took me five minutes to get it free – and saw that the bow was meant to be removed, it was attached to a headband with Velcro ®. Not the first time I’ve bought a second-hand doll that still had remnants of the factory set on or in it. She looks very cute in a dress I made years and years ago…gotta make her some shoes. 


Lots of other stuffs going on, but this is long enough already ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment