Sunday, February 16, 2014

DDD Exclusive : Snow White Stole My Clothes !! Red Tells All !

Current Notes: Look out, she's goin' for the socks next !




I have to confess, I’m very underwhelmed at Toy Fair this year. From what I can see so far, Hasbro bought a herd of new Equestria Girls characters both original and long-time fan faves (yet still no Luna), and they did more than Mattel. Not even some half-baked last-minute grandstand ‘Barbie and Ken get back together !!!!1!!!!’-style publicity stunt, I can’t tell they even showed up, really. Most of the photos I saw could have been taken in their lobby and ported over. No really nice displays – unless you count maybe 1/3 of the MH crew on risers, probably the same dolls that’ve been dragged to every Toy Fair since 2009. Oh, no, I know that’s not true, unless they’re prototypes, most toys on display are donated to a children’s charity at the end of Toy Fair, I’m really being a brat today.


This is gonna sound so stupid, and you can remind me I said it in six months and you’re always free to laugh at me, but… I feel my interest in MH slipping away, and taking a little bit of me with it. So I’m grasping at darn near straws, trying to save the fun and other feelings, but they seem to bolt further with each new shrug from Mattel. I try not to invest m’self so far in one line of dolls, and buy a bunch of other lines I can fix and repair and make pretty again, so I don’t just grab every doll and chair and plastic car I own and shove it all into a box and shove the box on the curb with a ‘FREE’ sign on it. It’s possible I’m really in too deep here.


And I listen to how whiny I’m being and think, ‘Seriously ? You’re even *able* to have these thoughts ? First world problem.’ even though we’re broke again, have tons of other issues bubbling under the surface, and yesterday my long-alienated mother reached out and guilted me, her disowned daughter, four ways in a five-sentence e-mail. The first sentence was to wish us a happy Valentine’s day. I don’t know if I’m depressed, spoiled, or just need to be put down.


Either way, I got to hit my thrift, and truthfully, wasn’t at all interested in the doll bin this week. Yellow tags were 25¢, and about all I saw with one was this porcelain doll. Cute, but I’m just not into porcelain dolls. Still, she had a pretty dress… wonder if it’d fit Snow White ? I held her up to other loose dolls, thought maybe… and forked over the 27¢. I then explored a bit, found possibly one of the few remaining Ace Hardware stores, and a very near Tuesday Morning, then decided to visit a local grocery, mostly because I’d never been in there before.


It’s a mixed bag. Their ‘Only $1. !’ section was the biggest I’ve ever seen, two full-length gondola shelves ! With the exception of some salsa and a huge cauliflower, nearly all of my $15. purchase came from there. Lots of new stuff to try ! We already know the small bags of tortilla chips are good, and the 8oz huge dark chocolate bar was delicious. Their ‘regular’ groceries seemed higher than the same things down the street, but they had more of a selection. I already get their ads online, so I’m sure I’ll be back soon. Especially if the canned chili is tasty !


Once home, a neighbor beckoned. She’d gotten several boxes of single-serve oatmeal and didn’t like it – would we like to try it, and get it out of the house for her ? Sure ! If no one here chows down, I know where the food pantry drop-off points are now, thanks to today’s exploring. It was just kind of funny, as one of the dollar buys was a box of oatmeal !


I also found that my 27¢ doll was a Dianna Effner Little Red Riding Hood, made sometime in the 80s, missing her hood. Doesn’t make her valuable, even completely intact, she barely brings ten bucks on eBay. So she lost her outfit, which fit Snow very well ! Her blouse is both too big and too tight, so I need to cut it down the back, fold closures in, and shorten the sleeves, but the overdress fits beautifully, I didn’t even untie it. Shoes need new soles after I crammed Snow’s feet in, but hey, Snow got new shoes too. I’ll go for the socks next, but I need to see if they stain first. I’ll probably re-donate the poor nude porcelain doll to another thrift. Her porcelain really is high quality, but I don’t like porcelain dolls – except uber-cheap ones for clothes donors !


1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! Red looks so upset that Snow's stolen her dress!

    I'm interested in a few of the new CAM's and the crazy looking zombie unicorn guy so far from the leaked Mattel pics, but yeah, the Equestria Girls stuff is just overwhelming! I noticed that one of the new (possibly bad girl?) characters might make a good Luna, though! The coloration is about as close as they've come with actual figures of Luna, at least.

    ReplyDelete