Saturday, February 8, 2014

In Russia, doll dresses are tight !

Current Notes: Not too bad, considering...




Wish I could tell ya’ll I ripped right into yesterday’s new patterns and had a blast, but I have to be truthful – I sat around, helped Beloved Hubby with taxes, and trawled YouTube and Pinterest all day. On the plus side - Fork Bows 2 : Fancier Boogaloo !


And I got to sew ! Became obsessed with a Russian pattern site, Monster High Club – she made these unique MH dresses, but all of them were hand-sewn onto a strapless base dress. I rather liked the base dress, and wondered if it’d print out at the right size, as her directions (mostly translated by Google) had her followers cutting out the seam allowance around the given ‘pattern’… and when I say ‘pattern’, it was just a photo of what she was using, no guidelines or metric strip to go by, nothin’.


I ended up using this one, ‘bleaching’ and cropping it to just the strapless dress in PaintShopPro, then printing it out as-is, no changes. And it came out OK ! Little tight at the hips, and I think the top hem was a bit big, the darts are a twitch higher than I like, but I’ve already altered it and hope to sew it again soon. Maybe with the roses facing up this time…


If you hit up that site, make sure Google can translate from Russian for ya, and neglect not the ‘older entries’ selection at the bottom. While many of her ‘Fashion Designers Contest’ clothes don’t contain near enough information or photos to really tutor you in how to replicate what she did, and her earliest efforts, like most of ours, are heavily tube-in-stretchy-fabric based, there’s a lot to see and be inspired by.



And our taxes are nearly done ! With Beloved out sick most of last week, we could really use the refund…

No comments:

Post a Comment