There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Not quite ready for flight...

Current Notes : I wish I could say I was nearly out of this fabric, but I have *parsecs* of it still...




Woke up today with a different wild hair sticking out, so I spent most of the morning trying to tame it. Couldn’t sleep last night, so I made a tiny crop top, from NG Creations’ third pattern freebie, her Empire Waist dress. I only sewed the bodice – snug and tiny ! But, as usual, it sewed up well and looks great with the perfected skirt, so I went to sleep happy… after, of course, I altered the bodice pattern to be just a bit longer. What can I say, my ghouls are fairly modest.


Turned out, that was unnecessary – the first NG MH pattern already had a longer bodice version of the same design ! Still, it was fun to see how close I’d gotten, I was maybe a quarter of an inch off in the back, but I had the proportions right.


But still, the tight-and-tiny original bodice had me on a tear. Would that work as the add-on bodice for my still incomplete jumpsuit pattern ? Wrestled with the program – PaintShopPro, for some reason, didn’t want to cut/paste the bodice multiple times on one sheet of paper without scaling it down by about a third. I couldn’t figure out why it was doing that. Even restarting didn’t help. Oddly, I could accomplish that in Print Layout, I just couldn’t save it that way. So I ended up printing what I wanted, then scanning it. Sheesh.


Then I realized that it probably wouldn’t work. I’d have to cut the bodice into four parts – two fronts, two backs – to go with the pant parts, and I had no idea how to do that correctly. I can easily modify a pants pattern from one piece to two (cut in halves and add seam allowances, done), but a one-piece shirt into four ? Yeek. I think that’s beyond my current skills to pull off well. So I decided to give the Princess Leia flight suit pattern another chance, and printed it off at 72% of Leia’s original size. And while creating that for Leia remains one of the high points of my sewing career, I can’t remember not one bit of the original sequence that sewed it. I’d have to fly this one as I went, and hope for the best.



I’d love to say it came back to me, and was perfect, but… I just kind of did what made sense at the moment, and it wasn’t long before I had a finished sort of flight suit. Not right, but given the small front opening, I was amazed it went on a doll at all ! Too small for the standard body, and even tight on Howleen. Pant length is too short, it’s too tight across the belly, and pulls at the crotch. Printed it again at 76% which wasn’t much bigger, so I printed it again at 80%. I’ll probably try the 80% version next, and go from there. At least now I have an idea of how to sew it – I even wrote it down as I went ! Wish me luck – I’ll probably stitch it tomorrow, I have a good chance at getting a ‘me’ day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment