Saturday, July 25, 2015

Apologies for the rough language on my keychain.




I liked today ! I had an embroidery challenge – one design seller on FaceBook offered a free design, and the opportunity to win one of our choice. All we had to do was use the new design and post an image of our mini masterpiece within 24 hours. Go ! I had no idea what I wanted to do – someone else had already stitched out the brand-name Stihl on the blade-like key fob – but I already had stuff to do, so it bubbled on the back burner.


Chores mostly done, I told Beloved Hubby – home for the rare weekend ! – that I’d really like to hit That Craft Store I don’t like to go to anymore. Unfortunately, they had some stuff I wanted that no one else had, and I didn’t wanna wait for more expensive mail orders. Unspoken was the idea that it’d be nice to have some time to m’self. (grin) I’ve bored both Beloved Hubby and Dearest Son to death in craft and fabric stores, so neither are willing to go with me – even Dearest has to be bribed with lunch or large candy bars.


Among a few other, small things, what I needed seemed darn near impossible to obtain, unless I was willing to have it shipped. And it wasn’t a huge thing – yellow vinyl. Can find embroidery-ready craft vinyl in almost any color in the rainbow, just not yellow. And I had three projects waiting for it. Ordinarily, I’d substitute felt or some other fabric (plenty of those in yellow !), but there was lots of small lettering that might not ‘track’ right stitched out on marigold burlap or slightly shaggy fleece. I wondered if the That Store had some, at least in the craft section. I’d obtained some lovely sheets of vinyl, about the same size as felt sheets, for under $1.50 – glittery, lacy, iridescent. . . maybe they’d have yellow, if not there, maybe in the fabric section.


As you can see, I found a *very* glittery piece of yellow vinyl in Crafts, nothing at all in Fabric. It seemed to have an odd greenish tone to it, but maybe that was the store lighting. That’s as close as I was gonna get, so I got it. Strangely, it’s not listed as vinyl on the sticker – just the word ‘Crafts’ above the price and UPC. Snagged my other ‘needs’ (including an 80% off pair of seahorse magnets) and was out the door for a bit over six bucks. Beloved says he’s glad almost every month That Store decided to get political.


Once home, I guzzled two glasses of water and shed clothing almost as soon as I hit the doorframe. So blessedly hot ! And there was my inspiration. Knowing That Store had a plentiful supply of glittery yellow craft vinyl, I clipped off a piece and got to work. You don’t even wanna know how long it took for me to get everything fit, centered, and aligned, but it was a good way to cool off, relax, and create, as the heat of the afternoon passed. I’m pleased with how it turned out. Since we’re already out of keys needing decorations, Luna is now wearing it as a medallion. I’ll probably make one only for her, using the same design and supplies, that says ‘Blame My Sister’. Her comic-book doppelgänger once wore a t-shirt with various quips that changed with the frames, and I haven’t quite gotten to making her clothes yet.  But I loved that one ! 


I also tried out an embroidery-machine version of a sixth-scale doll shirt. It’s designed to fit those (obnoxious, in my opinion) ‘Elf on the Shelf’ dolls, which are roughly Barbie-sized. Design specifically said ‘won’t fit Barbie’ – but everything she has for a 4x4 hoop carries the same warning, but with a good sale, I’ll give it a try. Figured it’d work for MH, but it rather hangs on them. You’ll get to see it tomorrow – Elsa just loves it !

No comments:

Post a Comment