Tuesday, April 3, 2012

(singing) "Isn't she looo-ve-ly ? Isn't she won-der-ful...?"

Current Mood : Happy and achy.



Look at what Beloved Hubby got me ! I’ve always thought this particular Lagoona was lovely, but I’d only seen promo photos – heck, the Mal-Wart I last went to didn’t even have tags on the shelves, much less any dolls. But when he heard I wasn’t feeling well, he picked up a few things, including this lovely, sweet, beautiful Lagoona ! I swear, the first time I saw her, I thought she looked like Olivia Newton-John, and even now, every time I look at her, I hear ‘I Honestly Love You’ in my head. And you know what a total sucker I am for 80s-wear. Was there anything I wouldn’t love about this doll ? (smile)


He said he went to the same Mal-Wart I did, and they’d just stocked the shelves Friday. The person he spoke with – who was stocking Barbie – said they’d just gotten in after months of no dolls at all, and a shopper  who was there while she was putting them out scooped up every one of ‘those black and white dolls’ in one grab. She felt a bit bad about that, she told him, because they’d been marked at just $4.13, and she was hoping a buncha kids would get them. But we all know it was probably a scalper. While I paid quite a bit more than four bucks for my greyscale Skull Shores Frankie Stein, I don’t regret it. It was within a few bucks of the normal price of the dolls, and it’s not like I stood a chance at getting one of the cheaper ones.


I had a vicious, painful stomach ache last night, felt like I was getting shivved from the inside. I’d go back to sleep and dream of pain, then wake up, clutching my oversized gut. It went away sometime in the early morning, around 6am or so, and I locked the door behind it with a big gulp of that nasty pink stuff. Then I dozed off and on all day. I think I needed it. Dearest Son checked up on me throughout, even though he’s still getting over a cold/allergies himself, and he made sure I had cold water for the prescripts I always hafta take. My getting-big sweetie…


I had zero interest in eating. But in addition to still being sore, my stomach was doing some serious, Hamlet-level orating, so I gave it some buttered crackers to shut up. When it did OK with those, I munched on some raw cauliflower and a bit of ham. Seems to be holding fine.


It was a really good day to be sick. We had a massive thunderstorm start last night, with some beautiful lightning strikes I got to see from the porch. It rained off and on all day, with birds filling the air during the brief dry periods. I heard wrens, jays, grackles, and others, amid trains, freight trucks, and dogs. But I most enjoyed just the sound of rain on leaves, on the windowsill, on Twilight Sparkle, and the wet earth. Tends to put me to sleep, though !


And I also got to enjoy my day-late library books, finally finishing The Good, The Bad, and the Barbie, by starting over from the beginning. So here’s my review. If you’ve ever read one of the ‘adult culture study’ Barbie books, like Forever Barbie or Barbie Chronicles, don’t spend yer cash on this one. It heavily quotes both, and several others. Most of the photos aren’t anything original or new, and the text is more of the same you’ve already read elsewhere, from an author that dares to have his/her own opinion, and those books were all written at least ten years ago. This volume’s author, Tanya Lee Stone, can’t be said to really have an opinion, which makes me wonder why she got the nod to write the book. I’d assume it’s another puff piece authorized by Mattel – it also heavily quotes Barbie and Ruth – but the credits say otherwise. So I really don’t know why this book exists, unless it’s for those who haven’t found Forever Barbie or Barbie Chronicles yet.  


I’ve already removed pretty Lagoona from her packaging and posed her for photos. Wow. She really is a gorgeous doll. Beloved told me they had her, a SS Ghoulia, two SS DracuLauras, and a Sweet 1600 DLaura, but nothing else. Still, it gives me hope that we’re not totally forgotten here in the doll desert !

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling well... but congrats on Lagoona!!! She's a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feelin' much better today, Heather ! Hope you're doin' great, too !

      I am so in love with this doll. You'll probably see her all week - or at least until I get that dress right. It's funny that I first made it for my original Lagoona, and now, here I am, trying to make it better for my newest Blue girl.

      Delete