Friday, April 27, 2012

Pain can be a focusing tool...if you can ignore it just enough. I can't.


Current Mood : Pain

Current Image Notes : Kinda wish the doll had this 'devil may care' grin. At least I have it on the box art ! Click to embiggen !



Woke with one heck of a sore throat – the kind that hurts alla time, but gets sharp and owchie when ya swallow. Seriously, it felt like part of my windpipe had been removed in the night, rolled around in a box of sandpaper, broken glass, Lego, and beach sand, then reinstalled. And then anything I swallowed had the same astringent power of lemon juice.  As the day progressed, the pain moved from the back of my throat to the bridge between it and my inner ear, which was more fun for everyone. And then the headache started. I told Beloved Hubby that, between the ear, throat, heart, head, thyroid, glucose, and anemia issues, if just one more physical thing went wrong with me, I’d be awarded either the ‘Plagues of Egypt’ or ‘God Hates You’ card, suitable for framing. I tried to distract m’self with houseworks.


I’ve come to the conclusion that, at least where my family’s concerned, idle hands are not the debbil’s workshop. Flat surfaces provided by little folding tables are. If there’s the slightest possible way a folding ‘TV tray’ table can fit, Beloved Hubby and Dearest Son will unfold one, pile it high with books, plates, cups, food packaging, and even socks, then leave it there, untouched for months. About six weeks in, I’ll get tired of having no space to move or clean in, or need access to whatever the piled up table is blocking, and it’s up to me to redistribute everything, throw the piled up trash away, return crusty dishes to the kitchen, find space for the books. Then I’ll fold up the annoying little table and shove it somewhere. Two days will pass before the whole business starts all over again. We just don’t have space for the darn things, so I’m gonna take matters into my own tentacles. Hmpft.


It wouldn’t bug me so much if the socks on the table weren’t three feet from the hamper. Or all the litter wasn’t a brisk six feet away from a very large trash can. Even though they may not mean it, it just screams, ‘Leave it there, someone else will take care of it’ to me, and guess who ‘someone else’ invariably is ? And yes, I know, ‘First World Problem’ and all that, but it still bugs me.


When that failed to make my throat pain give up out of boredom, I decided to lose m’self in Nightmares and Dreamscapes for a while. My throat, ear, and head took turns spiking at me, but the book was a good distraction – heck, compared to what’s usually going on in the text, I’m getting off light. And you can kinda expect some discomfort when you’re in the middle of a Stephen King story.


Didn’t have much of an appetite – hot salt-water gargles and generic Chloraseptic didn’t even touch what I had goin’ on – but Beloved and Dearest made me some beef brick ramen, my favorite, and I was able to eat it. I’m just hoping tomorrow’s better.


Believe it or not, I kinda miss sewing, now that I have the alterations to that Pucchi Collective blouse – version 3 ! – done. I’m also wishing good on that one.

2 comments:

  1. My mom's cure for sore throats was macaroni and tomatoes. I still make it when I'm sick. I hope you're doing better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really ? I never heard that one ! I'll have to try it next time. I'm feelin' a lot better now, though - so thanks !

      Delete