Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spring and Cupid...they just go together !


Current Mood : Hungry


Not a lot to talk about today, except for today’s image. So, let’s !

We slept in today, but I awoke with a two-point headache so bad, I felt as though my head had been stapled to an index card like a new specimen of bug. Went back to sleep and it was still there when I woke again. Rats. Had to wait a half-hour after meds to take some pain pills, but it eventually went away.


Did a bit more organizing, and cleaned up from yesterday’s sewing. It was such a bright, beautiful day – as my stuffed-up nose could tell you – that I wanted to make something ‘springy’. Decided I’d fold the pants pattern prototype and make some shorts out of a denim square I cut wrong for another project, then accidentally used to mop up a small spill. It got washed with the new fabrics, and after all it’d been through, I figured I owed it one. And I wanted to experiment with sewing a fake fly line of stitches, too, so that’d be perfect.


Almost. I knew enough to sew the fake fly before I sewed the fronts together, and I knew to allow for the seam…but I still stitched it too close to the seam. Had to rip the fake fly out and sew it again, after the seam. And it went OK, but sewing it before is much easier. And I had tension issues over and over. I need to give ole KJ a good cleaning. I’d do a test line of stitching and half the time it was fine, but soon as I put the ‘real’ stuff in there, it went all wonky. I think I about have it cleared up.


Shorts worked OK, but one leg hangs a bit shorter than the other. They match perfectly off the doll, though. (sigh) Decided I wanted to sew a t-shirt kinda blouse, so I pulled up a pattern I altered from the Pucchi Collective – they mostly sew for Blythe dolls, but since Blythe has a Skipper-type body, some of their clothes kinda-sorta fit the Monster High body. I thought I had the blouse altered OK, but the sleeves were much too tight, and the back was a tight fit. So I’ve altered it again, and hopefully the next one will be a bit more loose.


I was really happy with the fabric, too. Tabitha – of Me Love Gangrels fame on Flickr – sent it to me. It’s a gorgeous light seersucker, which doesn’t really show in the photo. But it just sings ‘spring !’ to me. Frays easily, and is a bit fragile, but sewed like a good cotton, so I was happy. Just not with the fit. I think maybe I had it sized for stretchy knits, and while the pretty green fabric has some stretch, it’s a woven, so it was tight. We’ll see how the next one goes.


The ‘Barbie Quick Curl Boutique’ case is one of those I won’t ever let go. Didn’t have it as a kid or anything, but I love it – you’ve seen it before, as Shinobu’s sewing room. It folds down small, so I kept it, but I didn’t have anywhere really to keep it, so it’s on my embroidery thread Treasure Chest, in the arena. I brushed Cupid’s hair today, as it was getting a little flyaway, and thought her super-tight curls fit right in with the ‘quick curl’ style.


But you know me, I gotta tweak. So, when I posted the image on Flickr, I wrote ‘While the entire Eros family is notoriously close-mouthed about their clients, an interview crew got daughter C. A. Cupid to sit down for a chat to appear on a 'Barbie' anniversary special.
"Daddy was not too impressed with her, " she said of the 53-year old icon. "No matter how many arrows he shot at her, she just would not stay with Ken for long, and he was, quite literally, made for her !"
Ms. Cupid did acknowledge that several other guys believed they were made for her, too, but she dismissed them with a hand-wave. "Nope. Not according to our orders," she replied.’ 

Well, I thought it was funny….

No comments:

Post a Comment