Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sing the praises of pants ! (old MST3K joke)


Current Mood : Pleased with me.



Kind of a quiet Saturday. After my usual routine, I pretty much had all day to do as I pleased. So I read and napped, and went out for a soda with Beloved Hubby and Dearest Son. Beloved found a tiny blue translucent plastic frog in the parking lot, and since Dearest didn’t want it, I claimed it for Lagoona. Cleaned of the road dust, he’s quite adorable. I’m sure Lagoona loves him, even if he only has two eyes.


It was kinda Lagoona’s day while I was out and about. After the soda run, we stopped in the nearby Salvation Army – Beloved’s looking for office chairs. Nothing this time, but he found a pair of 70s-vintage glass ashtrays, huge and familiar, in amber and emerald. Too bad the emerald one had a noticeable chip. He got the amber one, and I found a neon lightbulb in a star-shaped base. The bulb was in the shape of a dolphin, and it worked ! I looked it up later, it’s by Sunbeam, and retailed for about twenny bucks. I paid $3. It’ll be perfect for lighting up the bookcase photo studio, even after the dolphin part is blown. Can use the star base with a regular screw-in bulb, long as it’s a 25w or less one. I hope to get a good photo with Lagoona and the dolphin light in the next few days.


Of course, I needed an extension cord to run it to the bookcase, so I had to hunt in the Garage for one. What a mess. I got about half our stuff out before more stuff got moved in, and I have no idea what’s where anymore. I’m just glad I got my doll stuff out of the scrum, where I can get to it.


Once we were back, I tripped over my old binder, the one filled with images of all the Barbie patterns I own. OK, time to get that over with. Four books outta the wet box o’ books the other day were ‘mine’, the rest were Beloved’s (although we share all of ‘em, some are more ‘his’, some are more ‘mine’), but I had no idea where they’d go. All my bookshelves were packed. I ended up redoing a cubby and using it to store all my binders – there’s three, including the pattern one – which freed up enough space for the now-dry books. Whew. Even got all the recent Monster High doll boxes picked up. Once the box backs are scanned, they’re outta here. Got zero space.


After all that and lunch, I got bored. So I sewed. Since I’d abandoned the pants project before I got them right, I decided to start that up again. By sewing the pattern just where I left it. Since the last effort was done with those too-stretchy paper towels, it could be that they’d work…and they did ! They even passed the ‘sit’ test – no ‘two moon junction’ like I get even with some Mattel outfits. I thought they looked pretty good on Rochelle, although I just did a hem for the waistband, and not very well. So I covered the mis-sized stitches with some black ribbon as a belt. Not bad at all. Even took a series of good photos of it…before I realized that Rochelle’s issue blouse would probably look better than the matching lace-collar blouse you’ve already seen paired with the skirt. Oh, yeah ! And just for giggles, I tried Jackson Jekyll’s glasses on her. Cute !


Made sure the new pattern was safely scanned and ready. I’m gonna try two more tests, just to make sure, and then write down the directions as I’m sewing. Then, it’s a free bird. Yup, it’ll show up everywhere I can shove it, free for whoever wants to use it. I’m sure lotsa people will use it to make stuff to sell, but what the heck. Maybe the karma points will do me good, health and doll wise. You’ll get it first, of course.


I figure, if I charge, people will screech at me if they have the least issue with it. If it’s free, they can screech all they want, it’s up to me if I answer. After all, it’s not like they got any investment in it. And I’m sure someone will do something so amazing with it, that it’ll all come back to me, in the form of new inspiration and better ideas.


Now all I gotta do is make a buncha pants…

5 comments:

  1. Rochelle looks adorable in Jackson's glasses! (so intellectual!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to get you one Saturday night, but my luck failed. I'll keep my eyes open, though - she's such an awesome doll ! And so is he ! Thanks for the compliment !

      Delete
    2. That's okay, I think I've got one coming in the mail soon! Another friend of mine found a TON of new MH at (absolute tail end of nowhere, OK), and said she'd grab me one. Ha ha, I think she's gotten one for herself, too. (Considering she has always been this "too cool for dolls" person, I count getting her interested in MH as a HUGE victory!)

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH...she looks so stinkin' cute in glasses!!! I am so excited, I won her for a reasonable amount on evilbay yesterday!
    She might just be my favorite! Your pants turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay ! You're gonna love her, she is so much fun ! If there's the tiniest bit of Francophile in you, she will make it bloom, seriously.

      Thanks, I still wanna tweak how they fit at the crotch, just a bit. I can't seem to lose that wrinkle right there, on the right. And the left. But on the whole, these fit better than any of the Doll Shop Deluxe ones ever did, so I'm happy !

      Delete