Wednesday, April 18, 2012

When Cupid met Rochelle...


Current Mood : Wii good. 


Didn’t sew. Instead, Beloved Hubby and I had one of those late-night romantic rendezvous…to do a couple loads of laundry. But we had the Laundromat all to ourselves, so we made fun of the diet recipe infomercial and played Angry Birds on our cell phones. He trounced me ! I’ve never been good with video games, despite having one of the first games of Pong in our neighborhood. Well, truth be told, that was my father’s Pong, not mine. I got so many lectures about it, I never touched the faux-woodgrained thing.


Anyway. As a result, I was so tired today, I literally had to shove myself at the Wii Fit this morning. Last thing on the planet I wanted to do, but I did it, and I feel better. I have far less of an appetite on Wii days. Next week, I hope to be up to four a week. Helped Dearest Son with his latest report for a couple hours, cleaned up our trashed bedroom, moved some Garage boxes, emptied one. Found a few missing books, and my old Barbie pattern file book. (sigh) Spent so much time indexing and printing that thing, and now I don’t touch it. Put away laundry, got the cats fed and loved, and took a bit of a nap.


I’ve learned that, if I take the lead with dinner, Beloved and Dearest will eat it. It may not be what they exactly wanted, but it’ll be a favorite, and it’ll be hot and ready long before we get tired of waiting to decide what we want and end up going out for a burger at 9pm. It also helps matters if I thaw ingredients out the night before. Sooner or later, they’ll start telling me what they want instead of giving me a shrug and a head-shake. Maybe after a week or so. Much as I love going out, we just don’t have the cash for it – but maybe this weekend, we can splurge on some budget Chinese !


Tomorrow, I get to take Dearest and FIL back to PetCoMart for more fish. I also plan on hitting at least the library drop box. We have so many so overdue books, I’m halfway expecting a police visit ! No real excuse for it but laziness and distraction.


I was thinking about it the other day. I’ve gone through both Sew Subversive and Subversive Seamster thanks to the library. The first book actually taught me a few things, the second was all about turning clothing rags into redone clothing and housewares rags. Any of these authors ever heard of a little thing called a hem ?  Moving on…Sew Subversive was a fun read, and it mentioned always making sure you start a line of machine sewing with the thread take up (that silver thing that the thread goes through between the tension discs and the needle, you can see it move as you sew) is at the very top of the machine, at its zenith. This is the kind of information you normally learn from a mentor or Home Ec. teacher, but mine ranked, and I didn’t have a mentor when I took it up again in ’02.


Very few of us who sew learned with a mentor, preferably an older, skilled family member or family friend. Kinda sad. Luckily there’s books and YouTube, but I’d rather have the personal human element, even though that seems to be growing more scarce by the day.


Ah, well. I kinda want to sew after talking about it so much. Think I might be able to get those pants done since I had a nap today…

No comments:

Post a Comment