Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Right now, it's closer to 'one in ten or eleven'.


Current Mood : A bit down, a bit challenged


I'm such a bad girl. Not only did I put off Dearest Son's Halloween costume 'til the last minute, I haven't done one bit of my service project. I'd hoped to drop off a bunch today during my first visit with my new Primary Care Physician at the VA hospital, but lazy me hasn't sewn one yet. I've gotta get on the stick already !


Well, it was a great visit, but I got some bad news. My Dr. is awesome, so nice and she really listens - she even gave me her card, for me to call anytime I have a question or a concern. I actually remembered my queries this time, and got satisfying answers. I even got the answer to a question I thought I already had the answer to, but it turns out to be the bad news.


It's appropriate, though, that on the first day of Diabetes Awareness Month, I was told I am borderline diabetic. My test results - got the tests run when I was so sick a few weeks back, and we asked about them then and were told they were normal - were just a bit higher than is acceptable. And no one told us until she did. I actually corrected her when she told me, saying that no, I was asthmatic, thinking maybe someone hit the wrong code on my file somewhere.


So she ordered some re-tests, and by the time we came back home, they'd already been run, the results were in, and she was on the phone with me about them. While my numbers had dropped even further - from a 7.4 to a 6.2, but I have no idea what scale that is - it was still above six, so it'd be a good idea to at least learn what I was dealing with, and adjust a few diet-and-exercise things while I was at it for my heart, anyway. I'll be attending diabetic classes soon, and I'm already scheduled for a diabetic retinpathy screening - an eye exam, in other words - in December. I'm also due for some price-of-being-a-woman stuff, too, ugh.


I confess, I had a bit of a pity party in the elevator between my Dr. visit and the tests, but heck. I'm still alive, I can manage this, and it could sincerely and easily be worse. I'm relieved to say that I won't need insulin shots. Beloved Hubby was patient during my whine-fest, later commenting that if the sooner I gave into it, the faster I'd get over it, and he's pretty accurate. It's when I let things build up that I get deep down into the murk of unfortunate events.


I still have my research to do, and maybe it explains why, the sicker I got, the more I could only eat sugary stuff and fruit, but who really knows ? What matters is the 'next', and if I believe I can handle it, I always do. And that I have the best support ever - yaay ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment