Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturday out and about.

Current Notes: I love how her hair isn't 'yellow' blonde, it has a bit of brown to it. 




Finally, some uninterrupted time with my new doll, LDP Rapunzel ! I was lucky, her hair wasn’t nearly as wrecked as it looked, and twenty minutes with a good brush, a spray bottle of water, and an episode of Law & Order, I had it out of the rubber band and brushed out. Her hair is a bit thin – probably due to me and her previous owner, I took out a child’s handful of hair – but it’s still pretty. Trimmed stray threads off her dress, which was also in better than expected shape, given the inexpensive satin and fragile tulle paired with Velcro ™. I’m also impressed by the detail in the plastic of her hairbrush. Very pretty. Glad I got this one !


She’s also all-vinyl. Like the original LDPs from Jakks Pacific, and unlike the Snow White I bought earlier. Snow’s all hard, shiny plastic, which makes her easier to clean and more of a ‘my first’ doll, but I really prefer soft vinyl. Prettier, easier to photograph, not as harsh looking.


Went out for a few groceries and found a few real deals. A box of instant grits for 25c, since the box was damaged but not open. Too bad there was only one. Two double-packs of sliced cheese, 24oz, for less than two bucks, and my favorite canned tamales, 68c. I’ll go back for more if I can !


Also saw a knockoff DP&M doll at Family Dollar. Sincerely not worth the ten bucks asking price, which is sad. Thin, stringy hair, blow molded body so thin that light shone through it while still in the box, painted pink eyes that belonged more on a MH doll than a DP one, and clothes with the cheapest thin paper-like satin, edged with lace I know costs maybe a quarter a mile wholesale, won’t sell to any but the most desperate parent. And Christmas is long past. I swear, I hate that lace. I see it on every knockoff doll dress, over and over. If it has lace on it, it’s got that pattern, always. I confess, I thought of snagging her anyway, just for the dress, but I simply couldn't justify it in any way. Especially when I know what fabric I could buy for ten bucks !  I can get velvet in at least two colors – more with coupons and judicious use of quarter-yard cuts – for that much.


DG Requiem released a new pattern, Victorian Steampunk, with a choice of several sleeves and skirts today. I try to snag hers early, while they’re still $2. Once they sell ten copies, the price moves to $3. I really like this new one, but I have no idea when I’ll get to it. I have so many other projects – duct tape shoes, DP&M clothes, Cinderelsa’s wardrobe, those blankets I promised to make months ago – stacked up and waiting !


5 comments:

  1. Dorrie! Someone found Slo Moe at a Walmart in "The City" today! He's out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And also, I was in a Walmart today that was having a demonstration of new Barbie stuff celebrating Barbie's 30th. They were giving away coupons for $5 off a $20 Barbie purchase. I noticed that they'd sprinkled them pretty liberally around the Barbie section of the store, too. I imagine they did that at stores in a lot of the larger cities today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw that just a few minutes ago ! Sadly, the three nearest me are Slo Mo devoid. (sigh) Mattel hates me, I just know it...

    Was the demo any fun ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to watch the kids getting to play with the new dolls (including the new dog), but I didn't stick around for much of it. I spent most of the time scanning the doll aisle for anything I could blow my $25 gift card and $5 off coupon on. XD

      Delete
    2. No wonder we get along so well - we share a brain ! :D I'd have done the exact same thing.

      Delete