Monday, May 6, 2013

Two Timey-d !


Current Mood : Rushed. You'd think I'd have all the time (Timeys ?) in the world...





Perhaps you remember my odd doll shoe fetish ? For some strange reason, I *have* to obtain a doll’s original shoes, if she was sold with any. I’ll spend hours on eBay, honing my research parameters and budget skills until one day effort and money meet. And, either while I’m seeking shoes or after I get them, or others that’ll fit, I’ll invariably figure out how to make the doll some – even if they’re not much better than bags with straps.


The shoe thing wasn’t so bad when I had fifteen or more sizes of dolls. When your dolls wear everything from a child’s size two to tiny Polly Pocket dots, the madness gets spread out – and since your doll collection is constantly in motion, it’s harder to track, too. But mine has pretty much stabilized – Barbie, Monster High, Elphie (Tonner Tyler), Little Disney Princess, Timey Tell. Not counting recent addition Baby Belle, since she doesn’t have or need many shoe options. The others, however…


I recently found a pair of Mattel original-wear Hi, Dottie orange shoes and snared them. It made me so happy to see them on my Dottie, it ignited a yearning to find the long-neglected pink pair that goes to Timey Tell. She and Barbie fought for the title of  *the* main doll of my childhood, and the battle shifted sides daily, often hourly. One of the first dolls I bought as an Adult Doll Collector ™ was an eBay Timey, just to see if her hair smelled the same. It did. Still does.


But I wasn’t in a tearing hurry in my ‘hundreds of dolls’ days to get her shoes. There was always another yard sale, flea market, thrift store, or online shop to visit, and I was perpetually broke. Plus, she mostly fit American Girl clone shoes, if loosely, and those are abundant and cheap first and second-hand. Things changed as they always do, and while I don’t regret any of it, it has made me focus more on what I really love. And now, I wanted Timey’s shoes.


It’s pretty rare to find them. After weeks of hunting, I figured out I’d have to bite the bullet and buy a whole doll, which I really didn’t want to do. More expensive, and what was I gonna do with a second Timey ? But then I found one with great shoes, a perfect dress, and even socks…at a doable price, about what I’d have had to pay for the dress and shoes, if I didn’t count the higher shipping. In the end, the apparent quality and available funds made the decision, and I bought a second Timey.


She arrived today. I’m sure you figured that out by now. Aaannnd…she’s much nicer than ‘my’ Timey. Arrgh. Secretly, I was afraid of this. I hate to let go of my current one…but I really like the ‘new’ one.  And her hair and shoes and dress – and underwear, which wasn’t mentioned, but is more rare than her shoes – are nearly out-of-the-box perfect. I’d expect her to still have plastic around her head, she’s so clean and fresh. (sigh)


Dearest Son told me he’d like Timey, as the ‘Stay-Puft’ big monster in his upcoming MLP / Ghostbuster fusion movies, when I was still debating the purchase. On seeing me melt over the doll out of the box, he told me he’d be willing to take either doll I didn’t want, and he’d take good care of her – no Sharpie marks, no Toy Story Sid-level experiments, and I’d get her back when the movies were over. And I don’t need two Timeys…Arrrgh !


Yup. I’ve been two-Timey’d. 

No comments:

Post a Comment