Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sewing the Mattel Way !


Current Mood : Sleepy




Wow, was that basketball flannel scrap small ! It was maybe a half inch bigger than the one I used for Frankie’s t-shirt yesterday, but still much too tiny to make even a sleeveless tank for the guys. It could make the *front* of a sleeveless tank, though…hmmm. My favorite tank pattern is a super-simple one-piece-on-the-fold kind, so using even two different pieces of fabric would be awkward. How would I even do that ? There was a woven orange cotton scrap, that’d work for the back, but…how ?

Kinda simple, actually. Just sew the basketball print and the orange piece together, along the largest sides, fold, and cut the pattern like usual. And Fray-check the heck out of it. I had a little extra fun sewing down the seam allowances at the shoulders, where the two fabrics met. Rather than exactly center the pattern on the fabric, I placed the pattern a bit more to the flannel print side, so you can’t really see the orange back unless the doll modeling is turned completely around, back to you. I wondered if that’s how Mattel does Barbie’s ‘print on front, solid color on back’ dresses. It’s so simple, it pretty much has to be, especially when ya make a couple million of ‘em at a time. Just wish they kinda angled Barbie’s patterns a bit more to the pretty print front, ya know ?

Anyway, I’m happy with my latest sewing effort, and I have a few more questions answered, a little more experience sewing flannel, and I’ve spent a lot more time away from eBay, Etsy, and various message boards. I think crafting’s really helping me a lot. Much as I love hanging with fellow fans, these are, after all, the slump months, and I can complain enough on my own ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment