Thursday, May 2, 2013

Second-guessing yourself...all the kids are doin' it !


Current Mood : Curious and defensive.




I’m amazed at how many people came out on Mattel’s side for today’s photo. I got everything from ‘Nightmare’s just cooler’, ‘There’s a saddle’ and ‘Two colored mane’ to “Disney stuff’s cheaper ‘cause that’s what mommies want’ and ‘The horses aren’t the same, Nightmare’s bigger and better articulated’. Huh ? Where does anyone see any articulation at all on either horse ? Ah, well. We’re gonna pay it, most of us, so I guess it doesn’t matter…but I really do think they’re the same horse, and will until a real item photo surfaces to prove me wrong, after which I will apologize for kicking the hornet’s nest. And since all any of us have seen is that one photo of Nightmare, pasted next to the same prototype image of Bloodgood that’s been around since ComicCon 2012, and not a one of us has yet to see the ‘real’ thing, I don’t think anyone can say for sure that they’re even in scale with each other. We just hope. I still don’t know what’s with the price hike. The Snow White image, by the way, is from a sale at Mattel Store that they sent me this morning. Kinda glad I already had  my pre-order in, ‘cause if I’d seen this first, I wouldn’t have done it. In the ‘real’ photos, the horse’s ears barely come up to Snow’s shoulder.


I’m trying not to get into another ‘Spectra Von Hauntington’ fight here, but if no one points out the Emperor might be naked once in a while, then we end up with Naked Emperor Parades all day long, and nothing gets done ! And if we make excuses, we deserve what we get. What’s amusing to me is that the ones who consistently find wonk eye in every doll and complain about quality control issues each time a new line comes out are the same ones making excuses for this set ! Maybe it also gets down to how bad you want it, and how bad you wanna believe.


What I really wanna know is, does TRU know anything we fans don’t ? Far as I know, this set is the first ever pre-order for MH that TRU’s done. The fact that zero actual in-box photos of it are available is questionable, as is this ‘sold out /not sold out’ pre-order business every day or two. Why don’t they show it as ‘ in stock for pre-order /out of stock ‘ instead of yanking down the whole sales page ? Even a ‘Sold Out’ listing generates more interest than a ‘Product Not Found’ page. They’ve been advertising it as a pre-sale since the first week of April. You’d think it’d be a top seller – and visible on the MH page - since the available numbers keep selling out far ahead of time, but it doesn’t, not at all. Frankly, to borrow a movie metaphor, not allowing advance viewing and reviews, limiting release, keeping even the mention of it down, no press junkets, no talk show circuits, etc. is what a movie studio does when they know they got a turkey on their hands. I’m starting to wonder if I pre-ordered one.


Oh, well. I really need a ‘me’ day and get my mind off all this in a project…

1 comment:

  1. Your eyes are a lot better than mine! I can't make out any detail at all about Snow's horse on that white background. I imagine it's the same mold they've been using for the other Disney Princess & horse sets though, which IIRC has a face/head a lot blander and inspecific looking than Nightmare.

    ReplyDelete