Friday, May 3, 2013

I fail + someone else succeeds = Instant Inspiration !


Current Mood : Faintly glowing. 




Sometimes inspiration comes from unexpected sources. A butterfly might encourage new colors and pairings, a cloud could generate a new direction in a receptive mind. For me, seeing someone else succeed where I failed miserably…well, it’s inspiring, but maybe not in the purest sense !


So when I went looking for Timey patterns one last time, I found that a pattern creator I’d purchased from before had begun to release kits – a simple dress pattern with accessories, and everything needed to make them but thread and a doll – I thought that was a neat idea. Wasn’t gonna buy one ‘cause I already had the dress pattern in about three different versions, including the one I made m’self, and truth be told, the last pattern I bought kinda made me feel ripped off. I was pleased with my decision… until I noticed the author had successfully made the Ugg boot knockoffs I’d been trying to sew. Arrrgh. No way was I payin’ almost ten bucks for a boot pattern, especially when it didn’t look that much better, but I had to admit, the fit was better on the kit.


Suitably inspired – or just mildly ticked – I grabbed the felt as soon as I had quiet time and tried a different angle. Felt does have some stretch, so I could go a lot more snug than I had before, and really, it looked as though that was the real difference. Plus, the kit ones were much taller, and didn’t have my tacky craft foam soles. I cut a square of felt and pinch-fitted it around an MH leg. That looked a lot better, but how was I gonna sew that toe ? Ended up tucking in a pleat right at the toes, pinning it down just under them, and marking the rest of the leg shape right on the felt. Sewed the toe part first, then sewed the rest of the seam right on the markings, carefully turned it right side out – yes ! Boot !


Measured the second time. Used a 2 ¾” square of felt, folded around the leg with the raw edges to the back, did the pleat and trace thing, and it came out just like the first. Whoo-hoo ! But…that pleat kinda stands out a lot. What if I just sewed it flat, no pleat ? That’s even better. Flat on the floor, a bit of a dimple at the vamp – just what I wanted. I even tried to make a pattern, but pinch-fitting and sewing right on the tracing marks simply makes better boots.


Here’s the real question – can I still say the end result is inspired ? (grin) 

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you still have them, but I remember a while back you bought a "moxie teen" fashion pack and I was wondering if the moxie teen shoes will fit MH? My TRU is having a sale and if so I want to pick some up.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. The Teenz shoes fit - here's an image of Lagoona wearing the black cutout pumps from the 'Rock' accessory kit - http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4087/4970197222_b3468a6001_m.jpg

      The shoes are a bit big, and don't quite have the same shape as the MH foot, but it isn't noticeable when the doll's wearing 'em. Hope you find some awesome stuff in the sale !

      Delete
    2. Forgot to mention - there's a swimsuit fashion that comes with a pair of beige wedge sandals. Those look *great* on the ghouls - even Cleo likes them.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info!! I picked up a few packs yesterday and the shoes do seem to work pretty well! Though this isn't MH related, I did find that the moxie tennz shoes also fit Jem Dolls!

    ReplyDelete