Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sometimes being a voracious reader bites you in your butt !


Current Mood : Bitter




Had the best lunch – I’m gonna hafta try that again sometime ! We’re out of bread, but have flour tortillas, and I had some markdown going-fast pastrami to use up, plus a dozen and a half eggs… Gave the tortilla a light buttering, and crisped it up a bit, then fried an egg and warmed up the pastrami. Tucked inside the tortilla, which got another round of grilling, they made a great sandwich. Made me a little sad we’re now out of pastrami !


For whatever reason, I just wasn’t in much of a mood to craft today. Plus, it was Beloved Hubby’s last day of class, so we were both up late. I had to finish up with those books I had from his school library, he had two finals today, and one tomorrow. I can tell you this, I absolutely hated Not Buying It : My Year of Not Shopping. If I ever finish it, my first book will be titled I’m Gonna Slap the Taste Out of Judith Levine’s Mouth. I love reading how over-privileged, over-paid, over-indulged Ms. Perfect makes the supreme sacrifice of not buying green buns and yet another pair of boots in between shuttling between their NYC home and his acreage in Vermont. It was thrilling to learn of her relating her supreme disappointment to an unfortunate volunteer that the library didn’t meet her needs, although she’s a childless free-lance writer, in either hours or supplies of books on how to make silk roses as a gift for a just-graduated-college boyfriend’s relative. She ended up regifting a repaired necklace she admitted that she never wore.


I can’t really state my favorite part of the book. She compared herself favorably with the Amish, and enjoyed breaking her own rules for her little experimental year of not buying, by using her friends and just doing what she wanted. Then she had no clue why Saintly Boyfriend, who kept all her rules, although he wasn’t at all required to, got annoyed with her. She mentioned all her free time, since she wasn’t shopping – did it occur to her to volunteer with the elections (yes, you get her skewed view of politics, too) or the library, or anywhere ? Of course not !


I just hope I can forget this book soon…

1 comment:

  1. So... your favorite part of the book could be closing it? ;D

    ReplyDelete