Friday, January 20, 2012

Ponderances and carbohydrates

Current Mood : Thinkin' about stuff...

Current Image Notes : This is Beloved Hubby's 'media' contribution to his group report for college. Pretty scary, huh ? I'm really proud of his work, and the print shop did an excellent job on it, but I just can't bring m'self to hang it up.

Song You Forgot :  Doo Wop (That Thing), Lauryn Hill



Had my second of three diabetics classes this afternoon - and it was actually fun this time. Evidently the hair-splitter in our last class couldn't make it. Seriously, if the instructor said that any additional exercise above just daily routine was good, he'd posit that we should all be doing high-impact aerobics daily for it to make any real difference. Um...he was certainly not following his own advice. At least my big ole butt could be confined to one chair, 'nuff said. You'd think he'd be as glad as the rest of us, and encouraged, to exercise more with this advice, but nope. He did that several times during the last class on various points. We ended up running late 'cause the teacher'd have to carefully parse what he just said, to try to figure out what Splitter was taking issue over this time. Made for a really dreary class.


But this one was more lively, with some really engaged folks. I learned sooo much ! I can now count carbs - not calories or sugar ! - with the best of 'em, and know how much to 'spend' in a day, thanks to our teacher and a book they gave all of us, Calorie, Fat, and Carbohydrate Counter. The VA got a grant and bought hundreds of 'em. It's a big help. Only problem is, I get hungry just leafing through the pages !


And since half my carb load most days is soda, even though I'm drinking nearly equal amounts of ice water, well, it's still gotta go. Beloved and I picked out several intriguing diet sodas for me to try. So far, 7-UP Antioxidant Cherry is a bit too chemical-weird tasting for me. After the first few sips, I wanted to stand up, raise the glass, and yell, "Science !". Maybe when it's colder, it'll taste better.


Had an interesting reaction to a query today. Amid 35 other questions, a fellow LiveJournal MH group member asked us to complete this sentence : "If Monster High called it quits tomorrow, I would feel ­­­______." Without thinking, my first, gut and knee-jerk reaction was 'relieved'. I had to stop and think about it afterwards. And the birds outside stopped chirping, but I'm not sure if the two actions are related.


I love MH - I'm sure no one will ever question that ! (grin) But lately, between the constant array of new stuff, the fact that I can't ever find any of it, fans in Britain and Kuala Lumpur seem to have abundant shelves of the latest long before I ever see it anywhere but a computer screen, weighted against local economic concerns, I have to admit to being a bit weary already.


I'd love to see more of what Mattel has planned. I don't want the line to end, even if I never buy another doll. But I'd be happy with what I have, and wouldn't feel like I 'should' have this or that. Or that I have to keep funds available, in case I stumble over something I like - since it probably won't be there the nanosecond I let it go. I might actually be happier creating, when I have no clue what the manufacturer has planned. Could be that I'm simply too enmeshed to really be inspired anymore, since there's so much more out there now.


Hrmf. Now that I think about it, I wrote a lot more 'mental fanfics' when I couldn't see Star Wars any time of the day or night. Not having access to vast computer databases, or even many real-live fans where I lived, gave my imagination more room to play. Now I spend more time looking at fansites than I do creating, and that may be where my block is originating.


More thought is required, so be very afraid....

1 comment:

  1. Wow Hubs poster was amazing, very visual and I can totally see why he did so well! (and I'll admit I don't think I could hang it up either though!)

    Glad to hear your class went well.

    Hmmm 'relieved', yeah I can understand that. I am still very new into MH collecting, but I absolutely know that if the bottom fell out, I'd not die! lol

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete