Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It's soooo green !

Current Mood : Happy with the latest finds !



It's snowing ! Hard as it is to believe, since it was warm enough today to go out short-sleeved with no jacket, it's actually coming down pretty steadily. And very, very prettily. 


As promised, Nefera and Operetta went on sale at Angelic Dreamz this morning, and about an hour or so later, it was all over, but for the congratulations and the celebrations amid the wailings and gnashing of teeth. I'm just glad I don't want anything for a while - the mood is downright feral out there today, with more stories of six and ten hour shopping odysseys that were ultimately fruitless. Or, more accurately, doll-less.


Lemme tell ya'll honestly - all three of you - that I have spent waaaay too much time in my past on doll hunts, especially for favorites in the MH line. But I know that if I spent ten hours and a tank of gas visiting every Target, TRU, Mal-Wart, K-Mart, and mom-and-pop toy shop in a 50 to 100 mile radius and had absolutely nothing to show for it... I would probably be too angry to want that doll - or any others in the line - any longer. That said, I wouldn't mess around on a hunt in January anyway. Stores are still trying to recover from the holidays.


I got to get away from it all for a while, since I accompanied Beloved Hubby on his errand run to Former Town. He has a group project in class, and had a great idea for the 'media' part of it late last night, which he implemented and had printed up *huge* today. Turns out, my doll habit occasionally benefits us both, since his idea used the damaged DracuLaura and a Flavas doll that Dearest Son broke years ago, but was still hanging around here. Once he's done with the poster for class, I'll share an image of it with you - it's very powerful for something that uses dolls as a focal point. The print shop did a stellar job.


From there, we grabbed a Circle K sausage hot dog lunch and split a soda, and ventured to Hancock Fabrics. Yaaay ! I had the mailer coupon in my purse (just in case - lol !) so the cone of black thread I wanted was even cheaper today than it would be when it goes on markdown for the Martin Luther King Day sale. I also lucked into a stand of remnants that (gasp !) actually had prices on them ! Last few times I've gone to Hancock's, the remnants had yellow labels telling me how much yardage was there and what the original by-the-yard price was...but not what the remnant itself cost. Today they'd gone the easiest route, and my favorite one - all the remnants were a dollar.


Dug around a bit, and soon found some crushed stretch velvet - in dark, foresty green. My favorite ! A little over three-quarters of a yard - awesome ! I have a special project in mind for it, and not just doll clothes. Dearest is enamored of my 'velvet' pants - hand-me-downs from Aunt S., they're either inexpensive nylon stretchy pajamas or lounging pants, either way, I only wear 'em around the house. When Dearest comes into our room to play, if I've left the pants on our bed, he'll often end up petting them like a kitten.


So, I first thought to make him a very soft pillowcase from most of it, and keep a little for my dolls. Then I had a better idea - wrap up the fabric as-is, and let him decide how I sew it. He may want a cape, or a cover for the Jem Rockin' Roadster, or the pillowcase - it'll be up to him. And of course, I'll make a sweet, simple dress for one of his MH dolls from the cutaway. I'm hoping to get a dress out of it for my ghouls, too ! Luckily, I have a pair of 10c miniature tree skirts from last year's final markdown at Dollar General that's also stretch velvet - I can use it to build up my currently non-existent skill sewing that stuff. 

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo for dollar remants!!! I miss my Hancock Fabrics, this area is kind of lacking in the craft/fabric stores. But then again my wallet doesn't miss them at ALL! lol Hmm can't wait to see your Hubby's project as well as whatever Dearest Son decided to make from that yummy green velvet!

    ReplyDelete