Friday, May 18, 2018

My Big Silly thing.


Friday ! Since it’s payday, and because he knew we’d have fun, Beloved Hubby proposed we divide the laptop cash between the three of us ! Whoo-hoo ! Of course, Dearest Son and I went shopping ! I’d been wanting something online, so a trip to the bank was the first thing. Dearest surprised me by asking me to deposit his funds, too, ‘for safety’. I remember all too well the two times cash leapt from my pocket as a kid, lost forever, and I admired his forethought. We were soon on our way !


We didn’t get a lot for the laptop, but you know how thrifty we all are ! Beloved Hubby replaced a hand tool that came up missing, I bought the Big Stupid thing I most wanted – I could have either a book (Doll Junk) or an Elsa Build-A-Bear, already dressed, on eBay for $11. Since we’ll be going to the BaB store soon, to stuff Dearest’s ‘Muffins’ MLP, I went with Elsa, so I wouldn’t be tempted to buy her there. Beloved already said I could have whatever I wanted at BaB, I’d rather spend $11. than $40. Might buy another outfit, though. . .


Dearest soon concluded that, sometimes, ‘money from the sky’ is more difficult to deal with than having none at all to spend. As for me, I had several wants, it was a matter of marshalling what I had to get the most. He ended up buying only lunch – a whole pound of Mal-Wart Deli Orange Chicken, his favorite.


I got to talk to the nice young lady who manages the free sample machine. It’s more utilized than I thought ! I told her I’d seen it avoided more often than a bell-ringer at Christmas Eve, and taught a few folks how it worked, she laughed and gave me a handful of extra samples – Rice Krispy Treats ! I needed the sugar hit, saved a couple for Beloved, gave two to Dearest.


Found ice-blue mini rose minky fabric on markdown for $2. a yard – it was $8. ! – and got a yard and a half. It’s cloud-soft and so beautiful to look at, and I’d wanted to experiment with it a bit. Seen lovely miniature stuffed animals made from it on embroidery machines, and want to try making Ms. Elsa a matching skirt and shoes, just for kicks. I already know, from the kind woman cutting my fabric, that this stuff sheds like a beast in summer, or a 90s Barbie. Probably have to vacuum out my sewing machine after the first shoe.


I also got the two fat quarters I wanted – the two-tone grey stars on white cotton – and found a ‘Cardinals in Snow Swirls’ print mixed in with the Easter/Spring FQ rolls. Spring stuff’s not on sale, but the Christmas/Holiday stuff was, so I snagged the Cardinals for 25¢. 


Still had a few bucks, but Dearest was ready for home and lunch, so I got to solo to a yard sale and Goodwill again. Nothin’. Came home to a leftover lunch and played the day away. Beloved worked late and I’d already started a slow-cooker supper of pork steaks and onions with potatoes, in a broth of my own ideas, right after my lunch, so it was ready soon as he walked in. He appreciated that, and loved the meal, too. Tossed in flour and the broth became an epic gravy. I’m getting good at this !

1 comment:

  1. Yay, you got an Elsa! Isn’t her fur just gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete