Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ooh, I'd like to know what she's reading !

Current Notes: Looks like it's fired up Ghoulia's imagination ! 




Yum ! Dirty Rice for lunch today. Don’t know if ya’ll do this, but I always add a couple handfuls of extra rice or noodles to whatever box mix I’m cooking up. Oh, the box feeds me with leftovers, but Dearest Son can eat up the whole box by himself, and look around for snacks in an hour. I think he grows audibly in the night.


Now that I’m out of excuses, I sewed today. Despite our best efforts, my DM & FIL prefer seared steaks and fried potatoes for most meals. And I don’t think FIL has discovered the lower settings on the stovetop burners to this day. Between the meat and the frying potatoes, there’s a lot of…um, atmosphere when he cooks. Normally, I just open the doors for vents, but it’s getting colder, even in the mid-afternoon when he normally cooks their dinner, and I don’t want Dearest and me breathing all that – and who knows what it’s doing to my dolls and sewing stash !


Waaay back – before I had a blog, and I’ve been flogging these out since 2003 ! – when we had a living room adjoining the kitchen, and Beloved Hubby and I had major anime fixations, I decided I wanted to make some Japanese Noren curtains. I’d seen them in nearly every series I liked, and they didn’t look that difficult to make. Just three squares or rectangles of whatever fabric I liked, hung high in the doorway. Since we were as broke then as we are now, I didn’t even bother with obtaining a short curtain rod – I just pinned ‘em up with hidden thumbtacks.


As it turned out, Noren curtains aren’t just decorative or promotional, although a lot are. I learned that they keep kitchen atmosphere from migrating into living areas pretty well ! So today, I measured about what I’d need, located some thumbtacks, pulled out that rose material I’m kind of tired of using, and cut up the box Chatty Cathy came in as a template. And after lunch, I had my own Noren curtains, installed before FIL started their early-bird supper. Here’s hoping they work well here, too.



If nothing else, I used most of that rose fabric up ! Yay, me ! I'd share a photo of them with you, but it just looks like a swath of fabric in a door frame. So here's Die-ner DLaura, posed in front of a text experiment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment