Monday, October 1, 2012

Happy October !


Current Mood : Squeee !

Current Image Notes : Click to see big ghoul monsters ! 


Well, my little spending spree is officially over – I’m broke ! But I’m happy. Remember when I said one day, I’d see a knockoff Monster High doll ? Today was the day – and now I own three !


I first caught wind of the ‘Midnight Magic’ dolls on Flickr – Veni Vidi Dolli (Lori) has all four of them, but she said they came from a Roses’ store. I haven’t seen one of those places since I left the East Coast ! Fond memories. Anyway,  this week, a different poster on an MLP site (with an MH forum) posted a photo of three ‘MM’ dolls, but she’d found them at a Family Dollar. Hmmm….there’s one a few minutes away from here…


Ten minutes later, I was glad I’d printed out the ‘Save $5. off $25.’ coupon ! Our FDollar had all four dolls, and Dearest Son found something he liked, too. However, after tooling around the store with the four knockoff ghouls in the cart, I realized I really wasn’t much on the DracuLaura clone, so I put her back and got something not as much fun, but very needed. If you’re interested, it’ll be in the message below.


Before I left, I made sure to get an image of all four and the bin they were sold in. I was kind of impressed by how well my camera phone did. I wasn’t expecting the photo to be that clear. Gonna hafta invest in tons of fluorescent light for that quality, I guess. I left behind two Adeles and a Pippa, the grey one with straight black hair. Someone else had bought the others before I got there. I’m oddly pleased by that.


Didn’t have time to play with my new three faux-fiends – my desk was far too messy to photograph or even just put the dolls down on. So I got that cleaned up, and put all the weekend acquisitions away. All the ribbon was in a huge pile that needed detangling, and I came to the conclusion that I have no idea what I’ll do with those acrylic ice cubes. I thought I’d just toss ‘em around my next few Winter photos, but I hate not having a real plan for anything I buy. So there’s a good chance they’ll go back, I just haven’t made up my mind yet. They’re awesome, and I love how they look, but…I really don’t know exactly what I’m gonna do with them.


Not that I have a real plan for ‘Mila’, ‘Kayley’, or ‘Pippa’ either…but they are pretty cool. According to the box, they’re made by the ‘Lovely Patsy’ company, so I wasn’t expecting much from the manufacturers of the dollar-store Princess of the Blow Molds. But there’s a website with character bios and a spot for the game advertised on the box that’s not live yet, so at least they’re trying. It’s kinda fun to play ‘spot the not-quite-copyright violation’ graphics, too.


So I was really surprised that they’re not super-cheap blow-mold dolls. Their boots are – all four dolls sport identical footwear save for color – but the dolls themselves are a curious hybrid of cheap Barbie and regular Monster High. I’ll write you up a full review tomorrow, since this is pretty long already, but here’s the gist, at least in my opinion. Their clothes fit the MH dolls, if rather baggy, and so do the shoes. Cutting a seam in the back helps get them on and off. MH clothes are tight on MM dolls, and since MM have wider and longer feet, the MH shoes don’t fit MM dolls at all. You may want to buy the MM dolls for their clothes and shoes, but you may end up like me, working the MM dolls into your MH universe. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I'll have to look for these, I'm always looking for more shoe options!

    ReplyDelete