Wednesday, October 17, 2012

She's been waiting so patiently since May...


Current Mood : Hungry again. 




I had my now-usual Wednesday morning and early afternoon to spend as I please, while Beloved Hubby attends classes and Dearest Son gets to visit with his grandparents. After squandering the first Wednesday, I now plan ‘em Sunday night ! Ya’ll know me, I barely get most of what I wanna do done when I have a plan in place, without one, I’ll end up watching a You’re Cut Off ! marathon.


Well, I kinda did that anyway, but I got some fun sewing and new experience under my well-worn belt. I had something to sew all planned, and even had the pattern ready to go, but there was one thing I never crossed off my weekend list. Ever since I took that altered Barbie evening gown off Gloom Beach Clawdeen, I’ve purposefully left it in the way, so I’d finally finish it. It was just a bit too short, in my opinion, and I wanted to lengthen it with some netting or tulle. Kind of like an homage to ‘Solo in the Spotlight’. Wasn’t sure how, but at least putting it on the list encouraged me to begin the ‘figuring out’ stage.


And with Dearest’s recent interest in tulle, I had double reason for digging through my stash to inventory what I still had. Back when we had the yard sale, I got rid of so many craft supplies, I couldn’t remember what I kept – only where it was stashed. I had a few colors left, so I pulled out the black bundle and set up the iron. While I stored it folded, most of it had been wadded up at one point, so it was wrinkled. Hmm. Tulle. How do you gather it ? How do you iron it ? I hacked off a torn spot and experimented. Just like regular fabric, really – just keep the iron on ‘warm’, or it’ll melt and tear the stuff.


Took the dress apart at the back seam and re-measured the Mattel-installed hem ruffle, then measured it from the ruffle to Clawdeen’s ankles. Four layers of 15” by 4” cuts, folded in half the long way and gathered, then sewn to the same seam as the ruffle would probably work. Had to gather it twice, as parts of it slid in spite of the pins, and didn’t get caught under the threads. But it worked, and there you have it. That dress is finally done, and I’m happy ! Much better. And now I can start another ‘weekend’ list !


Since I still had time, I pulled out the pattern I prepared yesterday – for NG Creations’  ‘fishtail’ skirt, which is a vaguely calla lily-shaped ‘short in front, long in back’ design. She also includes a ‘double fishtail’, which is a layered version – longer piece on top of shorter, with transparent fabric normally making up the underskirt long part. The original directions called for yer usual ‘cut 1 on fold’, but if you have a definite right and wrong side to the fabric, most of what you’ll see around the dolls’ legs is the less-pretty or weakly colored wrong side. So I cut two, sewed ‘em together at the bottom hem, turned ‘em right side out, sewed the gathers and added a waistband. Came out pretty well, if a little stiff, but I liked it. Since I used the ‘Spectra Purple’ broadcloth on this new pattern, I tried it on over the same-fabric Shannanigan sheath dress Spectra was still wearing – and that looks nice. I’ve long been a peplum fan, and this is a kind of sophisticated version. I’ll probably make another one tomorrow, with an attached bodice, just for kicks. You’ll get to see Spectra’s new skirt tomorrow.


My guys were home soon after the fishtail skirt was complete, so I broke for a very late lunch – odd how my appetite disappears once I start sewing ! – and dug around the still-open stash for any more 6mm thick craft foam. Nope. Just the one sheet. Gotta hit Michael’s soon for another soft-side box project. Once I get it, that’ll be my next weekend list !


For now, though, I’m a little sleepy. Hope your day was fun and productive, too ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment