Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pullip Channel, for the Qi Pao win !


Current Mood : Starting to relax...


Therapy went pretty well today, or at least, I got through it without a major breakdown and subsequent questioning of everything I’ve ever done wrong, or just plain done. So I’m gonna say things are going better, I’m doing better, I’m OK with things, and move on.


Since most of the housework was done, and I was wiped out anyway – my usual lack of sleep beforehand was well in play last night – I took a two-hour nap. So did Dearest Son. We’ve all been a bit tense, even the usually-unflappable Beloved Hubby. One of his…instructors (I can‘t make m’self refer to him as a ‘teacher’, much less a ‘professor’) is evidencing some strange behavior towards him specifically, which stresses Beloved out, and you know how that moves through a family. The issue’s still not resolved, and may never be, but Beloved’s regaining his former sunny state, so all we can do is encourage that. I made sure he got a nap once he was home, and he snored for a couple hours, too.


Meanwhile, since everyone was occupied and most things were clean, I got to sew ! While I have piles of stuff to try, I found m’self leaning towards making a Qi Pao, using directions I’d watched a couple times on YouTube. It’s from yuniedhc’s Pullip Channel, and you can see it here. I wrote down all the directions and measurements beforehand, watched it until everything made sense, then hit it.


I used the exact measurements from the video, thinking that a trial with scrap fabric and ribbon trim would tell me most of what I needed to know, where adjustments would be needed in the next go round. And if it worked from the start, bonus ! But the 2.5cm wide neckline seemed over-large for an MH doll, so I modified it. And then realized that there was a reason it was that large – after all, a Pullip neck isn’t much bigger than an MH one – and ended up having to recut a front piece. With a 2.5cm neckline.


The side slits were really high up on the hip, but I sewed them as directed, with ribbon trim and everything…and the front and back pieces hung like stiff cardboard. Very unattractive. So I sewed them up, and made it into a straight skirt instead. Much better. Everything else is as the video directed. Skull Shores Greyscale Frankie got to model this one, it’s been a long time since she got to shine. I’d use her more often, since I love her hair, but she’s so hard to photograph without serious flash-bounce or room light reflecting off her metallic paint.


When I do it again – and I will, I like this dress ! – I want to angle the faux front closure better, it’s kind of low on this one. And I will probably again ditch the slits. I just think it’s classier this way, if less authentic. May lengthen it for a gown, or shorten it for a casual tunic. There’s a lot I can do with this design.


Now I’m wondering what other goodies I can ‘borrow’ from yuniedhc and the Pullip Channel ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment