Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Flu blues...


Current Mood : Oooogh....


While we don’t have a confirmation from the CDC, it’s a good bet we all have some sort of flu bug. All three of us are some exhausted, achy, bathroom-needing, chicken soup addicts up in here. I slept for most of the day, and more or less stared into space for a good chunk of my awake hours.


Thought about Halloween. While we can’t go crazy, I may be able to invest in a blue wig, make m’self some foam cat’s-eye glasses to cover my usual ones, and a green headband, and at least answer the door as Ghoulia. Or maybe her mother, I’m not quite sure. Beloved Hubby’s thinking of dressing up as a mad scientist, and Dearest Son is still undecided.


Speaking of Halloween and costumes, I thought this was funny. Apparently, you can buy ‘Sassy’ knockoff versions of Disney characters’ signature outfits. However, if you’re plus sized (I am), you can’t get one as Ursula. You know, Ursula, the single plus-sized character in Disney’s whole cast ( I think Tweedledee and Tweedledum are fever-dreams, not overweight icons), from Little Mermaid. Nope, if you wanna be Urusla, you’d best start sewing your own, as her costume, ‘sassy’ or not, is not available anywhere in anything bigger than a 12. Not only can big women not dress as big women, the one big woman character has to get slimmed down to even make it as a costume. Sad. Consumerist covered it here. I can, however, go out as a crappy Belle or pay twice as much for a fairly accurate Cinderella for three more inches of fabric. (sigh)  


I did get to sew a bit, after I tidied up the Arena. Had to put the new scrapbook papers away, get the new fat quarters into the wash, gather up some mail trash and the usual short ton of fabric slivers and scattered threads – I can never keep my desks tidy for long. And since my head’s only barely running on half-speed, I pretty much sewed the same thing I stitched up Saturday, just with a few alterations. Made the back closures a bit longer, and added some length to the Kristine Ann halter top, and added a centimeter of length to the NG Creations miniskirt.  I’m doing better with getting those narrow straps turned right side out without tearing ‘em, and my hand-sewn snaps are looking better, too. Even my Velcro ™ sewing looks a bit better than what you’d see on Dollar Tree doll clothes, and I think I’ve nearly got the hang of curved hems. So I’m fairly happy.


Sure, the stuff I sew tends to be simple pieces you’d expect to see on the woman next door, not necessarily the teen zombies and sea creatures populating my shelves, but that’s what I like. And a girl only needs so many ball gowns, cocktail dresses, and evening wear before she can’t leave the house without an entourage. Never been much for entourages, m’self. I like to hold my own umbrella, so I know it’s right where I need it and I’m not selfishly soaking someone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment