Tuesday, May 1, 2012

(waving white flag) I give up. Gladly ! Tarja’s pants are better !


Current Mood : Happy !




It’s actually kind of funny, how many times I redid my pattern, and it still screwed up. I looked at the other three patterns I had for Monster High pants, and no two of them look remotely the same. One is mostly a pair of tubes sewn together, made for stretchy knits, much like when I made hosiery years ago, and Tarja’s looked waaaay too tiny.


Turned out, she must hand-sew, because her seam allowance is only  1- 2 millimeters, assuming all edges are fray-checked. Yikes. Five millimeters is just a bit shy of a quarter-inch, which is what many doll clothes patterns use for seam allowance. So I added 3mm all around, using my trusty pink Disney Princess ruler. It’s too small for most things, but I prefer it because it’s semi-transparent. Easier to keep it in line during redrafts !


And, it’s only one pattern piece, only two cutout fabric pieces. Makes the cutting board part – my most dreaded task – almost fun ! Since there’s just one seam in front, and no darts, it’s much easier to do a simple hem waist, instead of sewing on a waistband. The leg lengths match, they fit well, and look great. I’ll be using it a lot more !


Although, I have to admit, I tweaked the front a bit so it’s not so low at center front, and added a quarter-inch to the length. So the next ones will be perfect ! Ya hardly ever see Frankie in green, but I think it suits her ! That’s the blouse I made yesterday, and I donated that fabric today. Glad it’s gone.


I’m also happy ‘cause I’m clean with the Library ! In addition to some fines that’d built up, I had to report that Dearest Son lost a book, the one I tore this place apart looking for all last week. First time in 45 years I’ve ever had to say I lost a library book. The two in Jr. High don’t count, as I found them on the shelves – librarian didn’t like my always-questioning mouth, so she sometimes ‘forgot’ I turned my books in. Plus,  several requested ‘hold’ books had come in, and I had to get those before they got returned. We could pay the fines, but I wasn’t sure what we’d have to do about the AWOL book. Luckily, it was a Scholastic paperback, so it was only five bucks on top of the fines. Whew ! I was even absolved of ‘out of circulation’ guilt, as they already had two copies of that book on the shelves. I also donated two books and some magazines to their ongoing Book Sale, so they’re outta the way. It feels great to not have that bugging me anymore.


And I stopped on the way home and got all the donations outta Starlight’s trunk and into the bin for them. Three Mal-Wart sacks fulla outgrown, unwanted clothes and other house-stuffs, outta my hair and up to someone else to buy. Only thing in her trunk now is a bag of bags, waiting for our next Aldi’s stock-up run.


So I think today was really great. Hope yours was !

3 comments:

  1. Oh! It looks lovely!! My girls are very envious that you have such skills... they tell me I suck and need to learn to sew, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl those pants looks great and green DOES look really good on Frankie!

    I've done a little pattern drafting and it's tough! I give you tons of props for keeping at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ya'll. I really appreciate it - you keep me goin', keep me striving, keep me sane. Hugs !

    ReplyDelete