Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pretty dolls abound !


Current Mood : Happily worn out.



OK, that’s it. No more fabric ! Planned to have a marathon sewing day, with about six pair of pants to show for it by day’s end. But by the time I got yesterday’s haul…well, hauled outta the way, I had just enough time and mental capacity to stitch together Rochelle’s super-easy tube dress. This is the same fabric I used for Ghoulia’s under-skirt, using Tarja’s stretch-fabric pattern. I made it a bit longer than the pattern calls for, and I’m really proud of how you can’t even see the bottom hem in real Arena light. Ya can here, though ! There is no top hem, it just folds under and gets sewn down only at the seam allowance. I usually like to sew one anyway, but it often does interfere with the stretch capability of the bodice part.


My poor pattern printout is wrecked. Instead of printing a new one, I redrew it so it’s more parallel again, and scanned it. Long ago, I redrew the seam allowance on it, after a disastrous first attempt, but I did draw a bit narrow at the hip curve back then, for some reason. It’s fixed now. Maybe the next one won’t pull so snug there.


I also neatened up the Arena for the coming week, something I always enjoy on Sundays. Found a Hot Rod subscription card I snagged from Beloved Hubby’s college library – like so many of those blown-in things, it was on the floor – and made up a faux magazine from the full-color miniature on the card’s front. They also come in handy for testing machine embroidery on card stock. Ask me how I reuse socks with holes in ‘em ! (grin) I can come up with a dozen uses for darn near anything. Just last week, I found that the stained, snagged bandage strip I cut away from Cleo’s latest dress made a great dishrag. Not terribly absorbent, but really handled those gentle scrubbing spots without me having to reach for the plastic scrubbie-thing. I still have most of that bandage – and five more in storage !


I guess it’s the semi-reformed hoarder in me that makes me sigh today. You know how non-hoarders say they figure we keep everything because we think we may need it someday ? Heck, 90% of the stuff I’ve given away in the last five years, I could have used in the last two months. Anyway. I gave away a whole bag of Poly-Fil (that I got at a yard sale for a buck) and I really could have used some for today’s photo. Instead, I used a shredded and wadded-up McD paper napkin. Not quite as good, but it almost works !


Went ahead and sewed a Velcro ™ closure on those pink pants. I wasn’t sure if I was gonna keep ‘em or not, and I probably will re-sew them using the new pattern later, but for now, they didn’t look horrible, and they were better than the first pair I made for Cupid. Instead, I tossed Cupid’s pair and kept these. She didn’t even notice, since she’s happy with those denim shorts. All the girls in those sweater dresses are howling at me to make them something cooler – and hurry !


Did some dishes, cooked lunch and dinner, and I’m about ready for some sleep !

6 comments:

  1. I'm envious of your recycling skills!

    And aw.. Rochelle looks positively angelic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (happy smile) Thank you ! It occurred to me after I published it that I should have posed her as one of those Raphael cherubs from the Sistene, I've always liked them. Of course, given my kinks, she'd look more like the Van Halen one and less like fine art.

      Hmm...she's French. She probably smokes... Ever wonder what the Smoking Area at Monster High looks like ?

      Delete
    2. She would definitely smoke one of those looooong cig holders, if she does smoke. WM had Rochelle and Jackson today! I nabbed a Rochelle but I'm waiting to see if my friend got a better one. Slight eye wonk.

      Delete
    3. Yaaay ! Sorry about the eye wonk - I was so lucky about mine. Some folks see wonk where I don't, so it could just be that I'm oblivious to it. or I'm hyper-lucky. Gonna get Jackson ? I should do a shoulder-to-shoulder photoshoot of Basic and GB, for kicks.

      Ooooh...a cigarette holder ! Now that gives me ideas...

      Hugs, hon !

      Delete
  2. It's not bad, I may even be imagining it after all the complaints I've read about the current crop of dolls. I think I'll wait just in case, though .

    Idk if I want Jackson yet or not... He hasn't really impressed me since he actually appeared as much as he did in lala's first diary.

    ReplyDelete