Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I should have known, when those absolutely perfect return address labels showed up...


Current Mood : Jubilant !



We got the apartment ! Whoo-hoo ! We got the call this afternoon, and scurried right over to make the deposit and pick one of several new availabilities. We were also allowed to select our own move-in date – they’re kinda hurting for tenants, just like everyone else in the area, since it’s almost graduation day at the nearby University. Seriously, we will be  within walking distance of the campus. I know that’ll be problematic later on, but for now, I’m just gonna be happy !


I got to pick our location, and it was pretty much decided when they pointed out one as closest to the park. I already knew about the park, it’s part of the University, with lush grass, a creek and a pond, a walking trail, several bridges, picnic tables, and a full if rotating complement of ducks, geese, gulls, pigeons, and Canada geese. We won’t have stale bread for long in our kitchen !


It was on the ground floor (but I still plan on using those staircases !) and we discovered to our minor chagrin that it was right at one of the two pools, but hopefully drunken pool parties won’t be an ongoing feature as well. It has a parking lot close enough to plug in Venus-diesel if it’s necessary this winter, and has another walking path leading to the back of the park as well. Fairly close to the laundry center, and I already know where the bus stop is if we need that. Beloved Hubby is a bit overwhelmed, but like me, is mostly excited. We’ll begin the move on June 20th. They’ve already got us set up for cable and a high-speed modem, and we’ll get our parking stickers when we pick up our keys. Wheee !


I’m so happy. It’s an all-bills-paid place, for about what we were paying for the last one – remember the one with the $300./month electric bill we moved into while getting out of another $400./month electric bill house ? The ones with landlords who swore there was nothing wrong with the air conditioner, and the utility bills never went over $100./month ? We’re really trying to avoid that. I’m sure the place won’t be 65 degrees in July, but we’ll have fans and a pool and an entire park to use. We may economize further and let one of the vehicles go – so the bus stop will come in handy. Frankly, with the school, PreviousCity is more friendly to us than this one is. While I’ve come to enjoy M & FIL’s community, I’m looking forward to return to our old one.


Besides, I’m going back to work. I’d like something close to my interests, like Hancock Fabrics or Dollar Tree, but at this point, I’ll cheerfully take orders at McDs, if it gets some of the pressure off his shoulders. May help with my self-esteem issues, too.


(grin) I’ve gone from only having a three-minute web video to look forward to, to having so much more, I can barely think of it all right now ! 

2 comments:

  1. Woot! Congrazzles on the apartment! And I bet that it won't take long with you calling the cops to tone down drunken pool parties for any such to become a minor nuisance at worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!! Congrats you guys! This is just fantastic news! I am so excited for you all! =D

    ReplyDelete