Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Well... she *needed* me ! Sort of...

Current Mood : Gleeful



Oh, wow, did I have a wonderful day today ! Beloved had a cancelled class, so I rode up with him to school and hung out in the library while he took a test. It didn't take him long, and we were on our way to the GoodWill down the street, where we found the Bakugon for Dearest Son and the Dead Tired DracuLaura for me. I wasn't in high hopes of finding anything else good...


But you know me. If I see a doll leg sticking up from a pile of random, semi-broken toys, I'll haul it up, see what's there. And today, I found her. I wasn't sure, but she had all the markings - an embossed Mattel trademark on her back, a pull-string that worked but raced through gibberish, and those fingers and toes I'm already so familiar with through Timey Tell and Hi Dottie. But...really. I'd just gone through and eliminated so many dolls, and most of the few I kept are still in boxes. Did I really need another ?


But she found her place in the crook of my arm while we investigated for more treasures. Found Beloved a new jacket, Dearest some magnetic Bakugon Valentine's Day cards, and me a cute little purse, perfect for hanging off the oxygen tank cart during those long days at the VA - it even had my initial in various bright colors, an obvious knock-off of Louis Vuitton design already several years old. Still, I liked it, so I got it.


Now, about that doll...As usual, Beloved took it out of my hands by taking her out of my arms, and she was rung up with the rest of the finds. Of course, she didn't stay in the bag for long - I had her out and back in my arm-crook as soon as I was settled in the car. I could hardly wait to do her research.


And I was right ! Well, the dress was a give-away tell, but doll clothes can easily be swapped and put on a different doll...although I mostly knew from those freckles. This is 'Chatty Cathy', not to be confused with the late 50s doll darling. Mattel has a penchant for reusing names and keeping copyrights. Nope, this lovely is from 1969 or 1970, depending on which source you read, and she has the exact same head mold as Timey Tell and Hi Dottie. Nearly the same body mold, too, just without the watch / phone arm and Dottie's battery compartment. I'd been kinda~sorta wanting one for a bit, but figured having Timey and Dottie should be more than enough. But now my collection is complete, as far as I know, of dolls with that particular, much-loved face. I can hardly wait to bring them all together.


We also made a quick run to Target, where they had four Sweet 1600 dolls - two DracuLauras, one Clawdeen, and one Frankie - and a lone Create A Monster (the one with the Werewolf) set, that was all. No clothes or accessories, but they did have the eraser-puzzle sets for just $2. each. Tempting as Clawdeen's glitter-tux outfit is, I decided against it, since I haven't even deboxed Cupid yet. But that's tonight ! (gleeee !)

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love Goodwill? It's amazing what you'll find there! I've been getting so many accessories for the doll's store and home... it's fantastic!
    Maybe I need to have a "Goodwill finds" section on my blog... your post has inspired me!
    ... and I can't believe you found a Monster High doll at Goodwill already, omg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Don't you just love it when you actually *find* something you've been wanting, out of the blue? It just totally makes my day to have a real-life discovery like that! Not that ebay finds aren't great, but when you see that leg sticking out of the pile, and you have that rush of Is it? Nooo! It couldn't be! It is! it just makes for a great day! Glad you scored such a cutie, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete